outdoor antenna recommendation needed

allanfan

DTVUSA Rookie
Hi,

I'd like to get some recommendations on an outdoor antenna for my house -- the goal is to get as many channels as possible. Here is the tv fool link: TV Fool

I'm trying to decide if a directional or multi-directional one is better for my house. Looks like I'll lose all 0 degree - 90 degree channels if I use a directional one. Thanks.

Looking at your TV Fool report I really don't see anything that is likely to be needed outside of the 225 degree direction. If you have some must have special interest station in another direction that you know to be on the air those possibilities can be looked at once you've established good basic reception.
You have an excellent TV Fool report. As is the case in most locations you have a mix of high VHF, and UHF signals that will require a dual band antenna. (While the report does show some low VHF signals, from looking at a rabbitears.info report I'd have reason to question they are on the air or worth pursuing.)
Not knowing more about your needs, budget, or expectations. I would suggest the Stellar Labs 30-2440 antenna aimed at about 239 degrees magnetic.
Stellar Labs VHF/UHF HDTV 60 Mile Fringe Yagi Antenna | 30-2440 (302440) | Stellar Labs
Adding an FM trap is probably a good idea.
FM Trap | FM-88 (FM88) | Distributed By MCM
Start with one coax ran to one TV scan for air or antenna channels.
Nearby trees, or buildings in that direction will greatly reduce your chances of success.
the goal is to get as many channels as possible
How much money do you want to spend? Large antenna arrays, towers, rotors, and custom built channel filters can get quite expensive.
To get an idea of what is practical, and should be achievable at a reasonable price take a look at the rabbitears.info report. Click on the call sign to show what channels each station carries.
RabbitEars.Info
I ran that one at 40 miles based on zip code.
As strong as your signals are predicted to be, and depending on what the building you're in is made of, you could start learning about available OTA reception with a simple rabbit ear loop antenna.
Amazon.com: RCA Indoor FM and HDTV Antenna: Electronics
Steve

Last edited:

allanfan

DTVUSA Rookie
Steve,

Thank you for the detailed reply. I didn't realize pretty much everything is covered in 225 degree (that's basically pointing at midtown Manhattan, I'm about 25 miles away).

In TV fool report, I saw 2 CBS -- Channel 33 WCBS-DT & Channel 22 WCBS-TV, are these the same channel? Seems a lot of channels in my tv fool report look similar between the one at 225 degree & 45 degree, I'm just not sure if pretty much all the ones at 45 degrees are already covered at 225 degree.

Also, what do you guys think of RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi HDTV Antenna http://www.amazon.com/RCA-Compact-Outdoor-Yagi-Antenna/dp/B0024R4B5C , it got very good reviews from Amazon, and about the same price as the Stellar Labs one.

The RCA ANT751 is a very good little antenna for areas with strong signals such as you should have. The Stellar Labs antenna should have an advantage on UHF channels the ones listed as real channels on a TV Fool report between 14 and 51. The next step up in antennas I would suggest for your location would be the Winegard HD7694P.
Winegard VHF/UHF HDTV Antenna (HD7694P) from Solid Signal
The two WCBS transmitters are going to have the same programming, multiple transmitters are being used to provide a larger coverage area.
I did get a bit carried away in my first reply.
Steve