Question: Outdoor antenna to try?

harry131

DTVUSA Rookie
TV Fool

We gave up directtv thinking we would be able to receive local channel as we were able to do some years ago before new HDTV. We are only able to receive 2 local stations the #8s and #11s. Have been to Best Buys and Radio Shacks to ask for suggestions and always been given a different antenna to try in the attic. Nothing has worked. Have been able to get only the (2) channels with all of them. I have read on various sites that many in our area get many local channels. Unfortunately, I don't know any of these people personally. Our tv has the new capabilities
Is there an outdoor antenna to try in Cumming , GA

dkreichen1968

Staff member
8 and 11 are your 2 VHF channels. Everything else is in the UHF band. What antennas have you tried? What is your roof built from? A good quality VHF/UHF combo antenna mounted on the roof and pointed toward 211 degrees magnetic (south southwest) should pull in a good variety of channels. Suggestions would be a Channel Master CM-2018 or 2020, Winegard HD7694P, or Antennacraft HBU33. (Note: Best Buy and Radio Shack don't necessarily have very knowledgeable staff especially when OTA TV is concerned.)

harry131

DTVUSA Rookie
8 and 11 are your 2 VHF channels. Everything else is in the UHF band. What antennas have you tried? What is your roof built from? A good quality VHF/UHF combo antenna mounted on the roof and pointed toward 211 degrees magnetic (south southwest) should pull in a good variety of channels. Suggestions would be a Channel Master CM-2018 or 2020, Winegard HD7694P, or Antennacraft HBU33. (Note: Best Buy and Radio Shack don't necessarily have very knowledgeable staff especially when OTA TV is concerned.)
Thanks. I'll look into the antennas you suggested. We've tried so many attic antennas (at least 5) and I don't remember which ones.
Yes, I realize BB abd RS are not "not knowledgeable" .

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
While it isn't technically a VHF antenna, I'd get the G-1483 4 or 8 bay, fold down the reflector elements to pick up channels from the front and back of the antenna. That way you may be able to pick up some of those channels from the north east as well as the ones from the south west. Add to it a CM7777 preamp set to combine (for both VHF and UHF amplification) and it should be able to pick up maybe a dozen actual channels plus any subchannels that come with them, including channel 10 on VHF.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
Thanks. I'll look into the antennas you suggested. We've tried so many attic antennas (at least 5) and I don't remember which ones.
Yes, I realize BB abd RS are not "not knowledgeable" .
Seriously, did you check that your TV is set to "antenna" and not "cable"? For you to be getting the two most difficult signals and none of the easy ones makes it sound like the antenna is fine and the TV is set wrong, though I could be wrong.

- Trip

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Seriously, did you check that your TV is set to "antenna" and not "cable"? For you to be getting the two most difficult signals and none of the easy ones makes it sound like the antenna is fine and the TV is set wrong, though I could be wrong.
That would be true for analog, but it wouldn't be true for digital since ATSC and QAM are totally different modulation schemes. If it was set to cable I'd think they wouldn't get anything. You can correct me if I'm wrong.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Some TVs will tune ATSC on cable channels. I've seen it before.

- Trip
Interesting... I'll have to file that in my "interesting factoids" file. I would have never guesses it. And, could very well be the problem here. I wonder if there are any cable systems that use ATSC/8VSB for their cable systems.?