Panasonic 8-Track Record

Sorry if this is the wrong place but it's the closest thing since there is no 'classic or vintage' section.

I just got an 8-Track recorder and a few old 8-Tracks to go with it. i hooked up the speakers and plugged in a tape and the tape is working and even switches the programs after awhile indicating the capstan is turning (most often the belt breaks from age and that's what goes out) but nothing from the level indicators. if i turn the volume knobs (yes, there is one for each side, left and right) i hear a whine from both speakers and both level gauges are reading maximum but no music. i tried all the tapes and same thing. i even tested the earphone jacks (there's two. one is too big for my headset but the other was for each side as well) but they don't even givem the whine. in fact nothing. it's as if there was nothing recorded on the tapes.

what's wrong with it? i looked a long time for an 8-Track player.

Is the head even touching the tape? Has it been cleaned? It's been so long since I've seen an 8-track but I have to admit that I had one way back when.

I had one long ago as well. i haven't attempted to take it apart to align it without asking first. when the old one i had long ago had issues with the head alignment, i could push really hard on the cassette and hear sound until i let go, but with this one i didn't even get that.

it's working as far as the tape pulling as it should, no binding even. (after a few centons you'll hear the programs switch so it's definitely moving) but i'm wondering if it's possible the amp is dead. that would suck :( i can see the level indicators moving as they should when RECORD is used with audio from the VCR going into the 'inputs' but when i play back the tape (have to wait for the tape to reach where it was since there's no way to rewind an 8-track) nothing. if i turn it beyond 3/4 the levels peg red and i hear what sounds like an auditory test tone used for hearing tests from both speakers.

the player also has a 'FFWD' button and it works too but no audio, not sure if there's supposed to be audio in that mode i just used it to test the motor.

Well, i found the problem. despite it having 'volume controls' on the front panel, after trying speaker after speaker and getting absolutely nothing i decided the 'line out' means something different than 'speaker out' so i, for kicks, hooked an A/V composite cable to the player's line outputs to the audio-only line inputs of one of my VCRs. and voila! it works. apparantly it was designed to go through an amp or stereo unit as an accessory so when putting it through my VCR it plays through the speakers of my TV..

They sell 8-tracks in the bunches at the thrift stores super cheap. and this is also a recorder so i can record 'new' music onto blank 8-tracks and have 'new' 8-tracks if i wanted to :D

now that means it is another accessory to my retro entertainment multiplex.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
They sell 8-tracks in the bunches at the thrift stores super cheap. and this is also a recorder so i can record 'new' music onto blank 8-tracks and have 'new' 8-tracks if i wanted to :D

now that means it is another accessory to my retro entertainment multiplex.
---------------------------------------------------------------
DTVuser,
Out of all the people I knew who had 8-track players (I admit I had one) the last two holdouts were two close friends: one is an accountant and the other is a CPA. There has to be a good joke somewhere in there!
Jim

This is a picture of what it looks like (taken from Google Images) but is the same model:

As you can see, it's got two 'volume' knobs, but they're not volume knobs at all. they're level control knobs. that's why i was confused as to why it wasn't working at first.

I just had this wonderful idea!

Those online music streaming sites? like Grooveshark? i could easily find a way to use the A/V outputs on my Presario to go to the inputs of the 8-Track and when i play music i could empty live albums onto the many blank 8-tracks i got. instant retro music download!

That's kinda cool. using an obsolete 1970's technology as a hard drive lol

Right now i'm playing a 'Music for Quiet Listening' cart on the unit as white noise and it sounds a lot better than i remember them sounding long ago. not bad for something over 20+ years old. the player looks brand new inside and out. i had taken it apart to diagnose it before the idea to use line out to VCR.

Last edited: