Panasonic DVD Recorder Receives PBS digital signal, but nothing else

farmgirl

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I'm assuming my DVD recorder has a DVD receiver, b/c I get the digital signal for the 3 PBS stations in my area (Greenville, SC). However, I don't get any other channels. I've been afraid to use the "reset all channels" button b/c it says once I do that I will lose all current settings, and I'm afraid I will lose the PBS stations I'm now getting. Does anyone know why I can receive some, but not all, digital stations? I feel like I don't need a converter box since I'm getting something. Thanks.

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
Hi Farmgirl,
First off, lets confirm you have a digital tuner on your DVD recorder. What manufacture and model number is it?

Next question is, what kind of antenna are you using? indoor/outdoor?

As DTVUser2009 posted, we need to know your TV Fool results. Entering your information there will help us diagnose your reception because it tells you approximately how far away broadcast towers are from your house.

farmgirl

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks so much for answering. The DVD recorder is a Panasonic model no. DMR-EZ47V or DMR-EZ475V. It is connected to a small antenna in the attic. In addition to the PBS digital stations, I was also getting channel 7 and 16 digital signals for awhile a few months ago, then I stopped receiving them. Is this the info you needed from the TV Fool site? : TV Fool

The DVD manual doesn't describe scanning for channels, but if I choose "set channels automatically" on the on-screen menu, it gives this message: "Once started, current channels will be deleted and cannot be restored. Connect antenna or cable TO to RE IN."

Should I go ahead and choose "set channels automatically"? I didn't do it b/c I was afraid I would lose my PBS stations (which is about all I watch anyway).
Thanks!

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
This Panasonic appears to have an ATSC tuner and a QAM tuner. Make sure you have the tuner output switched to the ATSC tuner before you do an automatic channel scan.
Thanks so much for answering. The DVD recorder is a Panasonic model no. DMR-EZ47V or DMR-EZ475V. It is connected to a small antenna in the attic. In addition to the PBS digital stations, I was also getting channel 7 and 16 digital signals for awhile a few months ago, then I stopped receiving them. Is this the info you needed from the TV Fool site? : TV Fool

The DVD manual doesn't describe scanning for channels, but if I choose "set channels automatically" on the on-screen menu, it gives this message: "Once started, current channels will be deleted and cannot be restored. Connect antenna or cable TO to RE IN."

Should I go ahead and choose "set channels automatically"? I didn't do it b/c I was afraid I would lose my PBS stations (which is about all I watch anyway).
Thanks!

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member

Thanks!
Hi, yes, go ahead and do a auto channel scan. Even if you lose PBS for some reason, you can always go back and do a manual add. That message it gave you is just to warn you that you are doing a complete rescan. I'm surprised it's so detailed, because even though it is true that the batch of channels it retreived from before the scan are deleted, you can indeed restore them by rescanning them again or manually adding them.

farmgirl

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks so much to everyone for their help! I re-scanned and got back most of the channels. I still can't get 13, but it was fuzzy in analog. At least now I'll have access to local news/weather if I need it. So glad I don't have to pay for cable.

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member

Thanks!
That is referring to the settings you have for the channels, the zoom mode and if you have that channel "hidden" b/c you don't want to see Mariachi bands or cartoons.

I use the Panasonic DMR-EZ28 myself, it works great. Every once in a while I finalize the DVD-rewitable, and use the "erase disc" function of this free program: :: RocketDivision :: CD/DVD/Blu-Ray/HD-DVD recording and mastering I've tried others- they won't work with finalized discs from the Panasonic DVD-recorder.

farmgirl

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I thought most of my problems were fixed; then channel 13 in Asheville (they were very prompt in answering my e-mail) suggested that I disconnect the antenna from the receiver, re-scan, unplug the receiver, then reconnect everything and re-scan. When I did that, not only did I not get channel 13, I lost all three of my PBS stations, which is what I watch 90% of the time!!! I tried re-scanning again, but can't get them. I've been getting them clearly for months. Any idea what might have happened? I feel sick about losing them.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I thought most of my problems were fixed; then channel 13 in Asheville (they were very prompt in answering my e-mail) suggested that I disconnect the antenna from the receiver, re-scan, unplug the receiver, then reconnect everything and re-scan. When I did that, not only did I not get channel 13, I lost all three of my PBS stations, which is what I watch 90% of the time!!! I tried re-scanning again, but can't get them. I've been getting them clearly for months. Any idea what might have happened? I feel sick about losing them.
Can't imagine how their advice would have helped, other than maybe insuring that you connect everything tightly after reconnecting everything? Have no idea on that one.

Have you tried doing a manual add of those stations through your menu setup on your converter box?

farmgirl

DTVUSA Jr. Member
The problem with my Panasonic DVD Recorder menu is that there is no way to manually add stations--they're either there or they're not. The station numbers they list can be "added" or "deleted," but the digital stations 29-1, 29-2, etc., just don't show up on the list since I did the dis-connect, rescan. Other digital stations are there, so I know the antenna is working.

farmgirl

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks again to everyone who has responded to my questions--it's hard not having a techno "geek" in the family!! I tried something else and got my PBS stations back. I unselected "antenna" and then selected it again and rescanned and got them back. I don't know why it dropped them before and kept the other stations, but I'm just glad to have them back!

Glad to see that work. I quickly glanced back at your posts, but couldn't find any information about your antenna. Is it indoor or outdoor? Or are you receiving all your digital channels now?

farmgirl

DTVUSA Jr. Member
The antenna is in the attic. I'm receiving everything except for the one station that was "fuzzy" with analog. I'm satisfied that I'm receiving everything I was before digital, and the picture is better (although smaller). I'll try re-scanning every so often to see if any stations change their signals. Thanks again to everyone for their help.