payed vs paid

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Is one actually commiting a spelling error by using the spelling of "payed" instead of paid? My spellchecker doesn't seem to think so but searching for payed on Google only results in the word "paid".

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
Is one actually commiting a spelling error by using the spelling of "payed" instead of paid? My spellchecker doesn't seem to think so but searching for payed on Google only results in the word "paid".
Don't know what to tell you about payed vs paid, but you did commit a spelling error on the word "committing". :clown:

Microsoft Word 'corrected' the spelling of 'Obama'' to 'Osama' so i wouldn't trust spelling checkers...

I use 'paid' but if the word 'payed' is correct it's not more a miss-spelling as the word 'color' to 'colour' or 'favorite' to 'favourite.' could be british-english.

lol Firefox here considers british incorrect lol. even the words spelled in british-english.

I don't really care if my spelling is fine or not here. we don't have Grammar Nazis here in the forums.

I really hate people who talk l13k thi3 though...now that infuriates me.

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
Merriam-Webster online has it spelled both ways, but "payed" only applies to one out of seven definitions, as in "the entire rope has been payed out." All other definitions would be "paid."

Slow as it may get at times, this is why I looooove Firefox: M-W Online is among the search engines available in the address bar (along with Google, Bing, Yahoo search, Wikipedia and even IMDB), without having to bookmark the site. All you need to do is type in the word or phrase in the dialog and hit "enter."

+1 on DTV's attitude re spell checkers. I don't know how many times I've caught the one in MS Word offering misspellings for correctly spelled words. >rant Mister Softee may be omnipresent, but that doesn't mean he knows everything! >/rant

Last edited:

Mockingbird

DTVUSA Member
Paid is a verb with or without an object
payed is usually used as a noun - for example -getting payed for your work, when you recieve the check you are paid in full.

or

Payed a heavy price for buying to many gifts. Luckily the bills were all paid in cash so there is no debt.

meaning is the same, sentence usage is the difference thats all.