PBS: 'Attack of the Cyberworm' ... Watch Online

Chickie

DTVUSA Member
In the News... Attack of the Cyberworm

Watch the Video Online....

FRONTLINE: editors' notes: in the news: attack of the cyberworm | PBS

January 23, 2009

Attack of the Cyberworm

Careful what you download: a new and insidious worm has been loosed in cyberspace.

How much harm can one worm do? See Cyber War!, and be afraid.

“I don't know if you'd be able to take down the whole (power) grid, but I know that you could take down significant pieces of it.”
Anonymous hacker

"This is a really well-written worm," one computer security expert said, of the insidious digital invader that in recent weeks may have infected as many as 9 million computers around the world. Conficker, as it is called, or Downadup, is a chilling reminder of just how vulnerable our ever more wired world is to cyber-attack, and how little progress has been made in guarding against it.

FRONTLINE first reported this story over five years ago, in a program called Cyber War!, which explored the already serious threat that cyber-terrorism posed to our national security. Sadly, not much has changed since then. Case in point: the nation's power grid, which the program identified as a particularly vulnerable target, and which remains so today. You can see that excerpt on this page, or watch the entire hour, and dig into the accompanying materials, on the program Web site.
frontline: cyber war! | PBS

Last edited:

Chickie

DTVUSA Member
You're quite welcome, Adam and I agree with you.

People seem to think they are not vulnerable and they are!!!

I have only (luckily) been invaded by one virus in all my years on the net but I'm a trained computer tech and I have been taught how to protect myself (my computer) but many do not understand how to do that or bother to even use automatic updates for their anti-virus software (AVSW) or even run weekly or monthly scans!! Boggles my mind!

The good side of that should be more USA IT jobs.. not less...

but then, there is all that out sourcing. :mad:

Last edited:
When people are charged more for their work, companies look outside for work , they should regain their profits so for that they have to do outsourcing or else their profits will be sliced.

Chickie

DTVUSA Member
When people are charged more for their work, companies look outside for work , they should regain their profits so for that they have to do outsourcing or else their profits will be sliced.
That is not true and many companies that do major 'outsourcing' have now pulled back.

They now recognize that outsourcing actually costs MORE $$ and doesn't address the real issue.... English Speaking Computer Savvy Americans! ;)

Americans are not fools and we know a "pat" customer service (I read answer from the book of knowledge) "tech" crap answer when we hear it! lmao! Don't try to fool Americans!! When "Tommy" in India tells me he's Tommy ? Did the HP REALLY think we'd believe this guy?!? LMAO!! No wonder you guys are losing money!! $$$ You are so LAME!!!!!!!!! :D

Will smith

DTVUSA Jr. Member
It would better be said this way , Chickie Americans have great brains so we decided to outsource and gain money from it. The outsourcing capital works in another way. If you want to do a job and you give 10$ will anyone over here do it , Nope but if you can give that 10$ to any other developing countries like India, China etc.. They will do double the work for that, since when it gets converted it turns to be a good amount. :D