PBS Music Shows

Piggie

Super Moderator
Three good music shows are on PBS this weekend

Great Performances: Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood: In Concert From Madison Square Garden

Great Performances: Stevie Wonder: Live at Last

Another show on most PBS this weekend is

Filmore: The Last Days

You will need to look when they are aired, because I already compared the 5 PBS stations I receive and it's all different.

Some stuff airs next week at a decent time to watch

The Two Great Performances have mulitple air times, but the show Filmore: The Last Days I think on a lot of stations only airs on Sun 5/31 at least around 11 pm Eastern.

If there are any old rocks fans from the 70's out there these shows are not to be missed. Call in sick if you have to do it! lol.

I really like the music shows that air on PBS. Liked the DooWop gold that they did during their drive. Now my kids think doowop is great music and not old mommy music.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Well starting this weekend and through next week there is 5 hours or more of old blue rock from the early 1970s. My favorite music along with the Blues itself.......

Stevie Wonder is in his own genre to a degree. Foundations in Blues, and Soul, but really it's his own....

He is even my ring tone on my cell, the lead into of "Higher Ground". If you think of the era of that song, he never saw the civil rights movement as ups and down, just keep your head up and it will happen. I am so so so so glad he lived to see Obama in the White House and him to be honored by Obama at that concert that occurred in DC for the President.

Hope you find those shows I listed on your local PBS.

========

Oh, I didn't answer the DooWop. It didn't hit me as a kid. I don't dislike it but its not a music I listen too. I tuned in that special and found I like a few DooWop songs but not all.

Last edited:

Piggie

Super Moderator
When was that filmed?? I've never seen those 2 together but I know they collaborated together in the 60's.
It has been a while, yes, most of my life time since they toured together.
The PBS show is the Madison Square Garden concert was one of the stops of their 2008 tour. I do not know or looked up which night filmed but it was probably a composite of all three shows knowing Great Performances.

The only other time I know they played together in the US was in August 2007 in Chicago in "The Crossroads Guitar Festival" which was also shown on Great Performances around Christmas that same year if I remember right. I bought the DVD of this concert and it has about double the songs of the TV show.

=================
[1]Former Blind Faith bandmates — and rock legends — Steve Winwood and Eric Clapton joined forces for three nights at Madison Square Garden.

These three historic shows mark Winwood and Clapton's first full-scale live collaboration since the end of Blind Faith's 1969 U.S. tour — which kicked off at The Garden. Their band was rounded out by Chris Stainton (keyboards), Willie Weeks (bass) and Ian Thomas (drums).

February 25,26,28 2008

[1] Steve Winwood Eric Clapton - at Madison Square Garden
==================

Piggie

Super Moderator
Three good music shows are on PBS this weekend
Update:

Great Performances: Eric Clapton and Steve Winwood: In Concert From Madison Square Garden

Is being feed on the main East Coast PBS feed at 11:00 PM EDT, May 30, 2009.

I looked at a number of my local PBS and some are playing it then, and some on Wed June 3. It's all over the place.

Some stations are even playing this one tonight, some later.

Still you need to search your local listings to be sure.

==========

Another one sneaked on the satellite this week and shown some places and not others is "The Big Band Years"

You say ok, I hate big band old junk. You have to realize that Big Band was a parallel growth of Black Blues. In the 1930's Blues was played in back rooms of black bars. In the 1940's many black performers formed "Jump Blues" bands, much of which lead to people like Little Richie in the 1950s, even Elvis.

Now Big Bands started earlier in the 1930's and lasted till the last 40's. But it was this idea of horns, woodwinds, etc mixed in the Big Bands that gave the blacks the idea for Jump Blues, that then morphed to Rock and Roll.

Though jump blues was more influenced by jazz musicians of the time than Big Band, it lent an opening to Jazz performing before larger audiences with the same types of back up musicians found in Big Band.

Like it or not, Big Band is tied into your current Rock music. It's part of it's history at least in a loose sense.

dxndallas

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Update:

Is being feed on the main East Coast PBS feed at 11:00 PM EDT, May 30, 2009.

I looked at a number of my local PBS and some are playing it then, and some on Wed June 3. It's all over the place.

Some stations are even playing this one tonight, some later.
This was on for us last Thursday! In full 5.1 DSS and HD. They played a few songs from their "Blind Faith" days but they played their solo stuff too which was great.

Piggie

Super Moderator
This was on for us last Thursday! In full 5.1 DSS and HD. They played a few songs from their "Blind Faith" days but they played their solo stuff too which was great.
Yeah, there last song is like trying to find a show on PBS.....

"It's near end and I just ain't got the time,
And I can't find my way home"

Should be

"It's here somewhere and I just ain't got the time,
And I can't find it in my time zone".

Ok my bad! :mad:)

=======

I saw it last night on WUFT but because they were using it for a fund drive and wanted to do a banner at the bottom, during national fund drive cuts ins, they showed in letter box. I even called their support line and told them I might get excited here if you put Eric and Steve in HD, and not letter box.

Well it comes on again on WUFT and WJCT so I hope to actually watch it again in HD.

is my memory fading didn't Cher and the Eagles both appear on PBS at some point (not together) loved the Cher Tour. Would love to see some Vintage stuff like Alice Cooper don't imagine that would happen though

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
is my memory fading didn't Cher and the Eagles both appear on PBS at some point (not together) loved the Cher Tour. Would love to see some Vintage stuff like Alice Cooper don't imagine that would happen though
Finally, someone who listens to rock! :) Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing some Phil Collins on there too. To be honest, until I saw this thread, I had forgotten that PBS did these shows (especially in HD). Any new groups going to be on anytime soon?

Piggie

Super Moderator
A lot of stations since the "older generation" they hope has more money are running a lot of music during this fund raising drive week.

I saw "The Last Days of the Filmore" last night on a local PBS, it was a rerun. But it had stuff even older than Alice Cooper.

There is John Denver coming on this week part of the fund drive on some PBS stations if you liked him.

Saw the Stevie Wonder show last night. It was great. Maybe even liked it more than Clapton and Winwood, and I love those two. Too bad Winwood never made it bigger, as to me he was one of the best song writers of the time and even later as solo.

Speaking of writers, I noticed Clapton and Winwood covered J.J. Cale's "After Midnight" on the show. Too bad they didn't cover his "Cocaine". I used to listen to Cale back in the early 70's. He never got famous at all, but his albums were around and I had Naturally and Really. Okie wasn't too bad, but when Troubadour came out, I heard it at a friends house and never bought any more of his albums.

JJ Cale was covered over and over by other people. "Call Me The Breeze" was a famous one covered by Lynyrd Skynyrd.

His albums are hard to find now except Amazon or online. Stores haven't had them for 30 years. But you can get them cheap, for $9 or so, since they aren't popular any more. If you like funky blues rock you would probably like his albums. You would recognize a LOT of songs others have covered.

A not so short list is on Wikipedia J. J. Cale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He played back room bars and venues back in the day. I saw him once only playing the Jai Alai place, that mainly showed country shows a few times a year in Ocala FL. A very unlikely place to see him.

Things were better back then. No mega stadiums, millions of people. I used to catch people in Gainesville FL back in 70's in small venues all the time. Albert king played a tiny bar that was a converted convince store. I got to sit about 12 feet away. Eric Burdon and War played an old converted movie theater, and there were so few people that night I moved seats to the 3rd row. (first row was actually too close). Jimmy Buffet used to just show up in Gainesville at bars or free concerts sponsored by the Univ of FL. Lots of people showed up to do free concerts on campus. Saw the Police on the lawn outside, and there were only about 300 people there. The list goes on and on. Now just to see a relatively unknowns like Susan Susan Tedeschi and her hubby Derek Trucks play the Wanne Music Festival is $153.00

I am starting to sound like my own grandfather. The country is greedier, not as kind, more selfish than when I was a boy. (and a lot less crowded).

Piggie

Super Moderator
Finally, someone who listens to rock! :) Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing some Phil Collins on there too. To be honest, until I saw this thread, I had forgotten that PBS did these shows (especially in HD). Any new groups going to be on anytime soon?
Exactly why I started this thread. There is A LOT of music on PBS.

Just off the top of my head.

Austin City Limits - all types, lends toward country but not so much popular country
Sound Stage - Always been rock I remember
Great Performances - All types of music, plays etc.

Then I search PBS and found series I didn't know existed and guess I missed! argg!!!

PBS | Arts | Music

I looked up American Masters because of the people on the list on the page linked above, but it's a lot of stuff.

The point with PBS, is you really need to watch closely or you miss stuff so so easy!! Another reason I started this!

If someone spots someone on, post it!