Percentage of Homes with HDTVs in US

Cadus

DTVUSA Member
I would have guessed lower just going off of poverty rates in the country. I know at least 15% of people in the U.S. are in poverty--that really influences my view on people that are able to afford an improved standard of living through HDTV. I just got HDTV a couple of years ago, and I'm nowhere close to financially troubled. I guess it just goes to show to priority that Americans put on television.

O-O

DTVUSA Member
Seems about right considering HDTVs have been sold for over 10 years now. Most electronics aren't made to last more than 10-years.

Even with poverty levels as they are- many people are in the finance troubles because of debt. And the high ticket items like HD Tvs add to that debt, so maybe more people owned them now and that has cause problems when the economy tanked?

I can believe that the percentage is that high. A lot of the people that I know who are at poverty level still own things that financially set people own. It's as if they try to compete by buying things they really can't afford. Rent to own companies make it possible to acquire these items but they don't guarantee that you will ever pay them off. It's sad what people will go broke for.

I agree Rachel, too many people these days cannot live within their means. They spend money they do not have and end up in debt- and all for things that are 'wants' rather than the important needs. Aside from my car and computer there have been no electronics or similar purchases that added to my debt. It is all from medical needs and necessities- I cannto believe how many people spend money so carelessly.

James

DTVUSA Member
I believe..based on observation...that many MANY citizens who are at or below the poverty level have a nice widescreen TV and some type of cable/provider service. In some circles...TV and televised sports are "essentials" today. No car, no problem. No meds-No problem. No TV-problem!

OTOH I see some seniors not caring about HDTV as much. If their TV works-they are OK with it even though they have the means of buying something more modern.

FWAmie

DTVUSA Member
I actually thought it was about that maybe a little lower. But I have also noticed that even though most of america is at poverty level. Most women are still having kids. Now, don't get me wrong I am not saying that they are bad or what ever. Because I am pregnant myself. But, I have always wondered why most financially stable people or higher financially stable people are really not having children. Is it because they are more work related or just feel they aren't stable enough for kids?

FormerDishTech

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I'm honestly surprised it's not higher. As to the "poverty rate", a lot of people falling into that group go out in February and March and get new tvs with a tax refund. Even if they should be buying things like beds for their five kids, furniture for the apartment or even food to go in the refrigerator......... I did have customers who didn't want HD and would ask me where they could get a tube tv. The only place I see them any more is pawn shops and thrifty stores.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I'm honestly surprised it's not higher. As to the "poverty rate", a lot of people falling into that group go out in February and March and get new tvs with a tax refund. Even if they should be buying things like beds for their five kids, furniture for the apartment or even food to go in the refrigerator......... I did have customers who didn't want HD and would ask me where they could get a tube tv. The only place I see them any more is pawn shops and thrifty stores.
Many folks are in financial trouble because they make poor decisions. Some people just want to look wealthy. How many people claiming "poverty" have to have a fancy smart phone, wear $200 sneakers, and drive a Lexus?

For $26.99 a week, you can get a 60" HDTV from Rent-A-Center. Of course, it will cost about $3000 after 104 weeks of payments for a TV that costs about $1000 retail. If they just put the same amount of money away every week and wait for a nice TV to go on sale, it could be paid for in 37 weeks, or about 10 months. But where's the instant gratification in that?

Lestrade

DTVUSA Member
About 8 out of 10 people have got HDTVs, isn't this a bit high as a percentage? OK, it is great to know that there are so many people like me and you appreciating the conveniences of HDTVs. Still, this percentage seems a bit higher than expected!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Comcast 0