Phoenix area ?

HI everyone. Just joined up and I am wanting to get rid of cable and go to antenna. I live in Mesa Az and was wondering what other members from my area are using for antennas. I would prefer not to mount on the roof but I do have an attic. Any help would appreciated THX RAY

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: Ray,

Before you decide on buying any antenna, we suggest you go to TV Fool and fill in your information. It will run a free antenna survey for you and offer some generalized advice about what type of antenna is required to receive stations at your particular location. Be sure to enter the maximum height above ground level where you could have an antenna.

If you would like us to make specific antenna recommendations please copy the resulting URL and post it here for us to study. That website will automatically conceal your personal information.

DTVUSAFORUM Staff

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I ran a generic TV Fool for the center of Mesa, AZ. You should be able to have a great "cable package" with attic antenna signal strength for stations from both Phoenix and Tucson (but in different directions). The Phoenix stations are strong and shouldn't need much of an antenna. Since there are two high VHF stations you would be safe with a RCA ANT751 or a Channel Master CM-2016. If you want to try for Tucson you could get something bigger like a CM-2020 or a Winegard HD 7694P. If you want to get Tucson, I'd go with two antennas on an A/B switch. Otherwise, it looks like there is plenty of TV signals coming from Phoenix.

Edit: There is a minimum of 26 English language channels from Phoenix stations.

Last edited:
Here is an update on what I have done since got rid of cable TV.We got a clear stream 2 long range HDTV antenna and it works really well.We also have a roku 2 and just got a bluray DVD player with WiFi built in.We have found some decent FREE movie /TV over the internet. TODAY I decided to raise my antenna as high as possible and aim it for the strongest signals. I CANNOT GET A SIGNAL OVER 75% for FOX 10 KSAZ DT. ALL OF THE OTHER 33 STATIONS THAT WE KEPT GET HAVE 92- 100 % signal.The antenna is aimed toward the tower that is approx 15 miles away.ONLY THE CH10 has a much lower signal. ANY IDEAS WOULD HELP.

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Here is an update ... I CANNOT GET A SIGNAL OVER 75% for FOX 10 KSAZ DT. ALL OF THE OTHER 33 STATIONS THAT WE KEPT GET HAVE 92- 100 % signal.The antenna is aimed toward the tower that is approx 15 miles away.ONLY THE CH10 has a much lower signal. ANY IDEAS WOULD HELP.
:welcome: Ray,

Digital Television tuners need signal quality rather than signal strength and that's what the 'meter' on your set actually measures. If you have a stable picture with your "meter" showing 10 or 15, you have won. It is a matter of having enough clean data for your TV tuner to re-assemble the audio and video. I have watched many hours of TV on my Sony from channels that drop to around 5 in "strength", yet the tuner sees enough signal quality to work perfectly.

Jim

dkreichen1968

Staff member
I have to second what Jim said. If the picture is stable on all your TVs it really doesn't matter what the signal meter says. Some meters I've had on tuners never go over 75% and hold a steady signal at 10%. Others show 100% on some stations and start to break up in the low 70's. It really depends on your tuner. One thing to note is that the ClearStream 2 is not a VHF high antenna and Fox 10 is on high VHF. A ClearStream 2V or a RCA ANT751R may have been a better choice for your area.

princeboy

DTVUSA Rookie
I thought it was going to be some boring old post, but it really compensated for my time. I will post a link to this page on my blog. I am sure my visitors will locate that extremely useful

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Is it easy to install an antenna, or is it better to hire a professional?
Good luck on finding a professional! Depending on where you are at, it may be a lot easier and cost effective to get advice here and install it yourself. There are some areas with experienced installers, but not many. You don't want to end up with the wrong antenna pointed the wrong direction like some posters have experienced.