Picture Frame Antennas

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Do they picture frame antennas work? I'm talking specifically about antennas built into a picture frame like the Antennas Direct PF7,

:confused:

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
That one is probably the best of them. They do work, but there is much better available, in indoor antennas. Note ones without Rabbit Ears are really only good on UHF.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Thanks EV.

I can't really understand why someone would use one though. If your TV is strong enough to receive signals with one, why not buy a better antenna and just hide it behind your TV?

Thanks EV.

I can't really understand why someone would use one though. If your TV is strong enough to receive signals with one, why not buy a better antenna and just hide it behind your TV?
Well, I've seen one used before mounted on a wall next to a wall mounted LCD TV. The only thing that looked odd was the small cable from the picture frame antenna to the TV. Other than the cable, it was a pretty slick way to remove clutter around the TV.

EscapeVelocity

The RCA ANT 1400, 1450, 1500, 1550, 1600, 1650 are similar in principle...and maybe a bit better in execution....especially in black.

Personally, I think the Philips MANT950 would look swell over a 50 inch plasma. But most of the time, reception issues preclude such pristine mounting.

EscapeVelocity

Seems like a really bad idea...."you can put water in it."

Terk Antenna Vase

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3KD4kHJVSA[/YOUTUBE]

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Seems like a really bad idea...."you can put water in it."

Terk Antenna Vase
lol. Now really, a vase? If they could get the antenna to perform just as well as any other top rated indoor antenna, then they'd have a winner, but notice how they never talk about the technical aspects of how well an antenna like that works? It's so gimmicky.

EscapeVelocity

Seems like she got kinda testy with that fellow insinuating that women dont know much about technology or wiring or antennas.

That stereotyping bastard!

SWHouston

Staff member
I can't speak to all those unique type antennas but...

I have a RCA ANT-1400, and an old set of Rabbit Ears and my C1C, puts that thing down badly. I'm only about 10 miles form my Farm, and the ANT has trouble with the VHFhi freqs.

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.