Picture quality on cheap Blu-ray players

U

Unregistered

Prices on Blu-ray players are finally starting to come down to around $100 on a decent brand name (Sony, Panasonic).

Is there any difference on picture quality on cheaper players compared to the higher priced ones? Why are the higher priced ones so much more expensive?

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
All I can say is that I bought a lower priced one in December and I am not happy with the picture. I actually had to replace the first one because it was just horrid. The replacement is a ton better, but I still don't like it. I'm much happier watching my regular non-BluRay DVD.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I have yet to buy a Blu-ray, but it's coming. I rent from Redbox quite often, and many times the DVD is out of stock but the Blu-ray id available. Since it's only 30 cents more to rent the Blu-ray, then I would do it if I had a BR.

I can't tell you if it's the same for Blu-ray, but for DVD players I have found the cheaper brands like Coby and Magnavox more capable than Sony and Samsung: My Coby and Magnavox players will play any kind of disc I throw at them, be it a VCD, DVD, CD, CD+G, or even a full DVD of MP3 or WMA files. The Sony and Samsung are very picky - DVD, CD, and MP3 on CD only. Of course, you take your chances - so make sure you buy at a place where you can return for a full refund / replacement within 30 days.

My Coby DVD was $25 five years ago and still going strong, while the $50 Magnavox upconvert DVD is 3 years old and works fine except that the front panel will light up randomly when it's turned off. I don't know what my Samsung DVD recorder / VCR combo cost new, it was found abandoned. It's got to be over 6 years old, and it still works. I do wish it had an digital tuner, though!

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
I bought the Samsung BD-D5500 for less than $90 a couple of months ago and it has worked pretty well for me. I tend to buy higher-end home theater equipment but needed a budget blu-ray player for a guest bedroom. Picture quality on the BD-D5500 seemed good enough for me.

I've bought 3 Insignia Blu-ray players for under $100.00 & all 3 have excellent picture quality. The 2 older models are a bit slow booting up & loading. Just bought a new one about 1 month ago & boot/load times are very fast. For just $99.00 it has 3D, Wi-fi, Netflix, Pandora, & You Tube. Very pleased so far.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I've bought 3 Insignia Blu-ray players for under $100.00 & all 3 have excellent picture quality. The 2 older models are a bit slow booting up & loading. Just bought a new one about 1 month ago & boot/load times are very fast. For just $99.00 it has 3D, Wi-fi, Netflix, Pandora, & You Tube. Very pleased so far.
$99 for 3D and internet? Wow, I should have waited four more months to buy mine. :(

Orrymain

I didn't really want a Blu-Ray but just decided to put it in the other room for the heck of it, just in case some super exciting thing came out on it. However, I really almost regret it because the picture just is not right. Mine was like $59 or so. I agree with the comment about regular DVD models that are inexpensive being awesome. I have many of those low priced ones that work as good if not better than the high priced ones.

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I didn't really want a Blu-Ray but just decided to put it in the other room for the heck of it, just in case some super exciting thing came out on it. However, I really almost regret it because the picture just is not right. Mine was like $59 or so. I agree with the comment about regular DVD models that are inexpensive being awesome. I have many of those low priced ones that work as good if not better than the high priced ones.
You should always take it home and live with it for as long as the retailer will allow before deciding to keep it or not.

scandiskwindows9x

Moderator of DTV Latino
Have a Blu ray player Philips BDP 3200 and is good , to be an basic player can even play youtube from the Internet and well have a good menu on screen and intuitive interface, just the bad do not read some TS format but well for some reasons should be that, and well just is a good player even is WI-FI ready but i am old fashioned so is wired,lol

Orrymain

You should always take it home and live with it for as long as the retailer will allow before deciding to keep it or not.
You mean for the first one? It was horrid. Red faces, orange lips, ghoulish skin. I could not stand it. The replacement I am living with. I don't like it.

I got a blu-ray player at a Black Friday sale for about 40 dollars. The picture was about what I expected, it didn't blow me away but it was certainly better than what I had been watching on a DVD player.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C DirecTV 0
G Questions and Answers 0
G Questions and Answers 1