Piers Morgan Tonight Interviews Ryan Lochte, Alfie Boe Tonight on CNN

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
When Larry King retired from his talk show on CNN, it is not that I was crushed, but it was the end of a certain respectable interview style. He interviewed all kinds of people, and he often did so with a laid back finesse that I believe added to his popularity. All good things come to an end at some point, cliche or not, so King retired and then came the announcement of his replacement -- Piers Morgan.

View attachment 1868 I was pretty upset by this. It is not just that Morgan is not one of my favorite people on the planet, but at the time in America, there were several types of hosting roles open on TV and they all seemed to be getting filled by foreigners. I love Aussies, I love Brits, I love people from all over the world, but I don't understand how an American news program could hire a non-American to replace someone like Larry King. I did not like it, and I vowed not to watch him.

Morgan made it easy to keep the vow because he is a fairly arrogant person, based on his demeanor on America's Got Talent, a show I watched from the beginning until this year when they added Howard Stern as a judge. I drew the line with that one and have taken AGT off my viewing mat. To his credit, Morgan was often correct about the talent on the reality show, but at the same time, it was how he aired his opinions that bothered me.

As a fan of the Olympics, I have noted that Morgan is spending a couple of weeks in London, his shows focused primarily on anything and everything Olympic, past and present. Two nights ago, he ended with an interview with Olympic darling, Olga Korbut. Yesterday, he brought together boxers Lennox Lewis and Evander Holyfield. Tonight, he will interview Ryan Lochte and singer Alfie Boe, who had fun taping the show yesterday and meeting Lewis and others.

There is a problem with vows: sometimes they have to be broken. I have broken mine this week. I still do not like Morgan; his style is glib, and I do not enjoy his banter. That said, any time he chooses to interview Alfie Boe, who set Great Britain on fire with his role as Jean Valjean in the Les Miserables 25th Anniversary Concert, I will be watching, to hear him sing with his guitarist, Al Vosper, accompanying him, and to see what is new in Alfie's life.

Piers Morgan Tonight airs three times daily, Monday through Friday, at 6pm, 9pm, and midnight pacific time.

Below is Alfie Boe with Lennox Lewis on August 2 before the taping of their various episodes on Piers Morgan Tonight.