Pixelated picture

rhoda97

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I connected my converter box and a lot of the channels are so pixelated I can't even watch them. I can't get channels 13 or 21 or if I do get them, then they disappear. I have a Sony Wega 32 inch tv and a Zenith converter box. I have a roof antenna but since the pixelation was so bad, i bought a HD indoor antenna but it was worse than the roof antenna. Although I do live near Kennedy Airport, my friend who lives in the city has the same problem. Is this going to be a problem from now on. If so, I guess my tv days are over. :(

rhoda97

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks for the info. The inside RCA HD antenna also had an antenna amp (says 100mA on the side of it) in the box. I connected it, as directed, but saw no difference -- but I'll try again. Or is there an antenna amp I can get for the roof antenna.

The 100mA applies to the current draw on the DC Converter that plugs into the wall outlet. I meant a 10-15db inline amp from your roof top antenna to the dtv converter. :)

I connected my converter box and a lot of the channels are so pixelated I can't even watch them. I can't get channels 13 or 21 or if I do get them, then they disappear. I have a Sony Wega 32 inch tv and a Zenith converter box. I have a roof antenna but since the pixelation was so bad, i bought a HD indoor antenna but it was worse than the roof antenna. Although I do live near Kennedy Airport, my friend who lives in the city has the same problem. Is this going to be a problem from now on. If so, I guess my tv days are over. :(
give us your zip code we can then look a your tvfool results and see what would be the best solution. your antenna could be of the wrong type many digital channels may be UHF and if you have a combo antenna it may not be strong enough. antennas lose signal gathering capacity as they get older, this may not show up on a analog signal but will on digital. also a signal that is to strong can pixelate as bad as one to weak so you need to look at tvfool.com to see the transmitter strengths if you have strong close stations they can over load your tuner with a pre amp on the antenna. distribution amps do little to increase signal strength. you may just need a good high gain antenna system to slove the problem.:)

rhoda97

DTVUSA Jr. Member
my zip code is 11434

i bought a video amplifier module and connected it as instructed and lost all the stations except one. they were so pixelated the station flipped to "no signal"

cycler

DTVUSA Member
I live in NYC also and I called PBS and they said that their stations won't be changing to digital until the very last day so don't worry about not getting those yet.

i bought a video amplifier module and connected it as instructed and lost all the stations except one. they were so pixelated the station flipped to "no signal"
I had a similar issue and I discovered that a piece of the antenna wasn't fit in tight enough. I bought a Terk antenna at B&H which works really well.

Susan

This is my suggestion buy a antennas direct db4 antenna hook it to the tv and hang i on th wall behind the tv, or just set it against the wall this will give you the best reception over all the other indoor antennas because it has higher gain.:)

cycler

DTVUSA Member
There is also a site that provides a map of where to aim your antenna by where you live. I forgot which it is but I'm sure that someone will be able to tell you.

I've had to hold my antenna in my hand and walk around the TV until I got a spot that was ok for most of the channels - this is not easy!