Plasma screen bulbs

What's the point of buying a plasma tv if you have to replace the bulb every 3-5 years and the bulb runs about $200? It's almost like you're leasing the tv and making a monthly payment.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
It's the same for DLP too (some on here may claim otherwise :p ). I'll stick with LCD until they can improve build quality and maintenance on Plasmas.

Aghhh....I realized that I used the word plasma instead of DLP. I really meant to say this was a criticism of DLP televisions and not plasma screens. Sorry about that everyone.

Last edited:
LCDs suffer from failure-prone backlights too. that's the primary reason i WILL NOT buy a LCD/Plasma/etc TV. they will never last as long or have the same black level as a CRT, and you pay that much more and get no better longevity.

LCDs suffer from failure-prone backlights too. that's the primary reason i WILL NOT buy a LCD/Plasma/etc TV. they will never last as long or have the same black level as a CRT, and you pay that much more and get no better longevity.
I've heard that criticism of these new television sets. I have a Panasonic that I've owned for about 15 years and except for the tube dying on me one time several years ago, it still works just fine. I don't know if I'll ever be able to justify the price of an LCD, plasma or DLP tv.

andrew25

DTVUSA Member
I had just changed from LCD to DLP. My experience with LCD is not very good as it had lasted for only 2 years and in between that we had frequent problems in display. So far DLP have been going good.