• DLP

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
If money were no object, which TV set would you buy? Plasma? LCD? DLP? Why? Doesn't matter how well informed you are...just curious what everyone thinks these days about the different technologies.

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
I voted LCD.

I dont like rear projection.

I do however like both LCD and DLP front projectors, and plasmas.

I hope variety in the marketplace continues to be the norm.

Furthermore, I like CRT in both direct view and front projector versions. (Though not Front or Rear Projection television versions).

CRT was still hangin in there as of last year, but in SD small sets. I think that is changing unfortunately.

Im hoping to be able to get a Front Projector CRT before they melt away into history. Probably Sony, maybe Barco.

Piggie

Super Moderator
LCD wins if you take into account all the pluses and minuses. Most of which are stated above.

I will say to me a tube still give a "richer" picture. I still have a 26 inch wide screen TV. It's only 480i (probably closer to 360 line range) vertically, but it has a great picture. It's a black mask tube by Toshiba. To bad they can't make an HD tube but then again, I would probably buy LCD next.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
We gotta love those flat screens. Plasma has that superior picture but is very susceptible to burn in. For these reasons, I voted LCD.
Is that still the case these days? Would have thought that manufacturers would have gotten past that, especially with all of the screen saver technology built into TVs now.

BTW, I hate when stations put their logo at the top or bottom while broadcasting.

Piggie

Super Moderator
BTW, I hate when stations put their logo at the top or bottom while broadcasting.
Not the only one. I hate bugs, streaming stuff. If a lot of the news channels ran any more stuff to block the screen, soon we will have talking lips, not talking heads.

But I wonder if you stay on one channel long enough on an older Plasma if the Bug would burn in the screen?

CptlA

DTVUSA Member
Not the only one. I hate bugs, streaming stuff. If a lot of the news channels ran any more stuff to block the screen, soon we will have talking lips, not talking heads.

But I wonder if you stay on one channel long enough on an older Plasma if the Bug would burn in the screen?
Me too. I think that, and especially these days, that broadcasters are using images that are more transparent to keep from ruining millions of tv sets. I'd like to see a study on if it IS possible to cause burn-in from a logo and after how many hours.

spokybob

DTVUSA Member
I bought a DLP 57" 3 years ago because it had the best picture of any set in the store. To this day I have never seen a better picture. One minus is the 24 refresh rate when watching football. I also have a 26" LCD that is not very good. It was on sale however.

Last edited:

bicker

DTVUSA Member
If money were no object? The biggest, baddest plasma I can find. But, money matters. Plasmas burn out sooner than lcd,
While still strictly true, it doesn't matter much anymore.

and consume more power.
That is very true, and matters somewhat.

As I mentioned back in January, I was intent on getting a LCD, and that was for these two specific reasons, longevity and power consumption, but after researching the longevity issue, I found that the makers of plasma displays have made great strides. They're now projecting 100,000 hour lifespans for plasma displays, and even if that's a manufacturers' exaggeration, it is clear that plasma has now almost caught-up with LCD, in terms of lifespan. Even at half that, at 50,000 hours, it's still at least 10 years. Technology is changing so fast, these days, that it is unlikely that any piece of equipment will remain relevant as long as has been in the past. Indeed, we can expect by 2012 that we'll feel the need for AllVid displays; by 2020, it is likely that AllVid, or perhaps something else, will be essential. Some people get much too-heavily invested in the idea that something they buy should last forever. With something like a house, or a car, that's reasonable. However, for other things, it is clear that these people are just setting themselves up for terrible disappointment and disaffection. Plasmas last "long enough" now that other factors are going to be able to trump the longevity issue.

And one of those other factors is picture quality. Comparing the two side-by-side in a dedicated boutique television store, where they deliberately use normal home lighting instead of industrial fluorescent lighting (this is the one sure-fire sign of a good place to compare and buy televisions), professionally calibrate every set, etc., my wife and I concluded that we felt that plasma provides more vibrant color, and an overall better picture quality, so much better that it trumped the rather small longevity advantage that LCD probably still has, and the 3% advantage in power consumption that LCD definitely has.

I wish I could change what I voted for in the poll back in January, given what I've learned from my research this spring. :)

scandiskwindows9x

Moderator of DTV Latino
i have an Plasma Television, and i like how looks the colors, looks more natural than the LCD than reproduce colors like if were an neon sign, a television should show colors of natural way without exagerate or be too bright, in the real life you do not see neon colors in everything, the colors in real life are normal in brilliance, also i like of the Plasma TV the quality how shows the fast motion movies and sports, where the LCD and LED tv falls is in show an fast motion without look blurry still they working hard in the perfection but already they can not, also not have to deal with slow response times of LCD and LED displays, also the contrast ratio too, an LCD with the dynamic contrast on just is annoying when changes continuosly of contrasts even you notice when that happen, is really annoying that effect, or when in an black background and white letters the whole contrast goes down when in a normal CRT tv the black remain black and the white still white in a background black and letters white. so i prefer the Plasma televisions, just is my option

We gotta love those flat screens. Plasma has that superior picture but is very susceptible to burn in. For these reasons, I voted LCD.
Image retention is minimal, especially after burn in of the screen(break in period). I game, and use a PC on my setup with no problems. If by chance there was a static image on the screen for tooo long, you can pixel wipe it.

i have an Plasma Television, and i like how looks the colors, looks more natural than the LCD than reproduce colors like if were an neon sign, a television should show colors of natural way without exagerate or be too bright, in the real life you do not see neon colors in everything, the colors in real life are normal in brilliance, also i like of the Plasma TV the quality how shows the fast motion movies and sports, where the LCD and LED tv falls is in show an fast motion without look blurry still they working hard in the perfection but already they can not, also not have to deal with slow response times of LCD and LED displays, also the contrast ratio too, an LCD with the dynamic contrast on just is annoying when changes continuosly of contrasts even you notice when that happen, is really annoying that effect, or when in an black background and white letters the whole contrast goes down when in a normal CRT tv the black remain black and the white still white in a background black and letters white. so i prefer the Plasma televisions, just is my option
Agree, I have several LCD's and they don't hold a candle to my plasma :D