Playon content only SD?

scajjr2

DTVUSA Member
Trying the free 2-week premium. Using XBMC to view it. So far everything is SD. If the content we wanted to see was HD I might consider buying. $50 for a lifetime sub isn't bad.

For anyone interested in Playon it's not live streaming of shows, basically a on-demand type service. Some channels (Netflix, HBOgo, MLB, etc.) require you to have a subscription to them to view.

Sam

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
Most of the "live streaming" channels for PlayOn are plugins or scripts. www.playonscripts.com/ and www.playonplugins.com/
Considering that PlayOn is transcoding on-the-fly, it's no surprise that it's SD, and also many of the sources are SD or less.

If you're looking for "live streams" go here: USTVnow - Watch Live American TV Shows Online and sign up. This is a regular Private channel - not a PlayOn channel!

USATVNOW is a live streaming service for US Citizens abroad. As such, it will not work in the USA unless you go through a proxy server. There is a basic free service and a paid service. For the paid plans what you’ll get is a long list of channels; ABC, CBS, CW, FOX, NBC, PBS, My9*, A&E, Animal Planet, Bravo, Cartoon Network, CNBC, CNN, Comedy Central, Discovery Channel, ESPN, Food Network, FX, History, Lifetime, National Geographic, Nickelodeon, Spike, Syfy, TBS, TNT, USA. *All "LOCAL" channels are Pennsylvania, and are included in the "FREE" service.

So go to USTVnow and sign up.Then follow these instructions:

How to add the USTVNow for the Roku in the US.
1.) Add the channel at https://owner.roku.com/add/USTVNOW
2.) Go to miniprox.com (this is a proxy to sign-up for the service)
3.) Type ustvnow.com in the "Enter URL" box
4.) Then create an account.
5.) Check your email and confirm the account.
6.) Go to the USTVNow on the Roku and get your linking code
7.) Next link the Roku at USTVNOW

(Credit to catastrophegirl for the instructions)

Last edited:

scajjr2

DTVUSA Member
It looks like by adding some developer scripts like Superusvox ($5) or UTLive($2) you can watch HD content (when it's available) through Playon and XBMC. So for me by having Playon with those scripts added running on our main PC all the other computers in the house can run XBMC and watch internet TV. $57- not too bad.

Sam