Please help

Riley86

DTVUSA Rookie
I have a basic comcast cable package and an old analog tv with an older vcr. I was given one box for free through comcast but I love to record my tv shows. However, I would like to watch another channel while recording another at the same time. They told me if I shut off my converter I will get channels 2-29. Please tell me there is another way around this. I have read in order to receive all the channels I get through my converter, to get another converter box? Do I have to go through comcast to get another one? If so, will they allow me to do this?

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
You'll only be able to record what you're watching with your VCR.

You may want to check into renting a DVR from them, it's pretty cheap but you can watch one channel while recording another.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
Just to add on to what Aaron62 mentioned, the difference between recording with the DVR (if you were to get one) and a VCR is that the DVR has 2 separate tuners which allows you to record one channel while watching another. The VCR records by being connected to the single tuner in your Comcast box.

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
The DVRs are about $10 a month the last time I checked. I'd check on buying one. To me it's like renting a modem -- why rent? It's wasting money. If this is something you want to keep doing, buy one. It'll pay for itself soon enough.