Question: Please "point" me in the right direction :)

vdopower

DTVUSA Rookie
My tvfool results
TV Fool

I am very new to all of this so bear with me. I have satellite service from Dish Network and I would like to run an over the air antenna feed into my hopper receiver via a usb OTA module. My plan was to purchase the wineguard hd8200u antenna and the channel master 7777 titan2 pre amp and run the feed to the hopper ota module. The hopper will then incorporate all found channels into its guide (supposedly). I am moving my satellite dish to a pole on the ground, which leaves the mast at the top of the roof (approx. 25 feet) available for the ota. My main questions are

Can I use the previous dish mast (it has struts) to mount this antenna?

Is this setup going to be too much? Will I overload the system with this much gain/pwr?
I want to see as many channels as possible however I'm reading that if one is too close to the broadcast tower a pre amp can screw things up. The antenna has three direct coax lines (no barrels/splits) to the hopper location and the cable is rg6 3ghz solid copper. Im so lost in this respect, is the run solid enough to not need a preamp? Will I get more channels with the preamp?

Do I need to bond this antenna to the system ground? The satellite system is not grounded, it has three lines coming into the attic directly to the homerun closet (i.e it does not bond anywhere).

Sorry for my scattered post but its late and this is all very confusing! Thanks for your help. - Mark

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I believe you have the DirecTV "Slimline" mount, which is the most sturdy mount DirecTV uses. It should handle even that big antenna as long as it is properly secured to the roof.

But I would suggest putting the antenna on a different mount and leaving the dish alone. Aiming is critical for a dish, and you will also need to move the 3 coax cables. It would be easier to put the antenna on its own mast, and run the single cable from the antenna to the hopper. I would leave the amp out of the equation for now, you have some very strong signals that amp could overload your tuner. Aim your antenna towards 215 degrees and see how that works.

Yes, both the dish and antenna need to be grounded.

Last edited:
You have no need for an all-channel WG 8200 antenna as you have no low-VHF channels to be received. The 7777 is also completely inappropriate for your area. Way too much gain and it will likely overload. Try the Winegard 7694 or AntennaCraft HBU-33 instead. No preamp needed.

The biggest problem with antenna installations that I see is usually trees in front of the antenna. They will really mess up your reception, specially on UHF and especially when they're wet and blowing in the wind. Do your best to find a mounting location that minimizes or eliminates trees in the signal path.

G

Guestvdopower

Thanks guys. I do plan to move the satellite dish, I have perfect LOS for the satellites on the ground and I do have a satellite meter to point it. I would prefer to have the OTA as high as possible so as to get more channels. So you're saying the 8200 would not get anymore channels then the 7694?? As for the grounding, is there anyway to ground to something in the attic like a metal rod or something? Could I have en electrician place a grounding device in the closet? None of the cable runs are near the system ground (Three cables straight into attic and to homerun closet) and I would like to keep them as they are.