Question: Point indoor antenna to pickup CBS/FOX in San Francisco

If you are using google street view, you can see the top of Sutro Tower, from the corner of Guerrero St and 24th Street, Sf, by looking west up 24th Street, and the top of the tower is visible above the buildings on the north side of 24th.

From the corner of Guerrero and 25th you cannot see the tower, because it is behind that wide 8 story apartment building if looking northwesterly up 25th.

The direction of the tower is mildly uphill when looking from down on Guerrero Street. And it is hidden behind buildings. If you are at street level or in a lower level unit you are blocked by buildings.

I was there on Friday and performed a survey of the situation personally. From the corner of 24th and Guerrero I could see the top of the tower very clearly, very close, it's less than 2 miles away.

From 25th and Guerrero I could see nothing. From 26th and Guerrero I could see the antennas on the top of the tower only.

A rooftop antenna would work great.

Looks like lots of "flats" in this neighborhood. 3 story buildings converted to units. Also smaller apartment buildings. Not real highrises but high enough to be a problem. Not a neighborhood of one story single family homes.

Last edited:
Usually when we see someone quoting himself, it because of Age, Ego or drugs whose spelling ends end with "ne".
I have more than my share of all three, so I shall follow your recommendation and quote myself as often as possible in the future. (My "ne" drug was prescribed by my doctor for high blood pressure. Often, when we see someone dropping casual allusions to drug abuse, it's because they abuse drugs themselves.)

R.

If you are using google street view, you can see the top of Sutro Tower, from the corner of Guerrero St and 24th Street, Sf, by looking west up 24th Street, and the top of the tower is visible above the buildings on the north side of 24th.
Really? Wow, I'll have to take your word for it. I can't see a thing. Maybe your screen res is better than mine or something.

A rooftop antenna would work great.
Excellent.

R.

The Guest's problem has not been solved, unfortunately. Your suggestion to tie into the building ground wire and use that as an antenna is one possibility, assuming that could be done safely. Safety First! Also assuming it even has a ground.

Or keep trying to pick up a very weak signal with indoor antennas, or figure somehow to get an antenna outside. I'd assume building owner is unreasonable and objects to that but really should be providing a roof top antenna for tenant use in the first place. Good luck to the Guest. Not reasonable to be unable to get over the air TV when the tower is only 2 miles away.

Safety First! Also assuming it even has a ground.
Hooking to ground isn't normally a safety concern. (Just don't hook to the AC itself!) If the AC or cable screws aren't connected to ground in the building, you can try driving a stake right into the ground!

There are pages and pages on ground antennas on the internet. Some people are very serious about them -- enough so, that clearly they aren't joking. They look at it as a survival technique. But massive stats taken with expensive equipment. ;) Interesting reading.

Or keep trying to pick up a very weak signal with indoor antennas, or figure somehow to get an antenna outside. I'd assume building owner is unreasonable and objects to that but really should be providing a roof top antenna for tenant use in the first place. Good luck to the Guest. Not reasonable to be unable to get over the air TV when the tower is only 2 miles away.
Well, I think we need to wait for more input from the OP. Sometimes people just post, then go on to other things.

Rick

Last edited:
That's OK, SWH. I have a hard time taking some drug allusions in jest. A close family member died in his 40's from cancer. The doctor informed us his immune system couldn't fight off the cancer as well as one particularly nasty "ne" drug. I had fought with him about his drug use, but not as often as I should have, obviously.

Rick

SWHouston

Staff member
Rick, I sincerely am sorry, I just wasn't thinking and should have. I spent a 35+ year career in Health Care, much of it spent working in Substance Abuse (cocaine rehabilitation mainly) and know the heartbreak when one fails to get someone through that. Sometime, I have to really concentrate on the accomplishments we achieved, and try to just let the failures be.

concentrate on the accomplishments we achieved, and try to just let the failures be.
Sounds like a good prescription.

Health Care has to be a tough occupation. 100% failure rate, in one sense. Some doctors seems obsessed with longevity. I've been trying to convince 'em to give credit for mass X longevity -- how much human flesh have I nursed along for how long??

They're not buying it. :ballchain:

Rick