Poll: The future of sports on TV

Will the SuperBowl and World Series someday be Pay-Per-View only?

• Total voters

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
One area of free (Broadcast, OTA) TV that is sadly lacking today is live pro sports. I think sports fans have brought this on themselves. In my opinion, so many people have been willing to pay outrageous prices to watch football, etc, that a lot of what used to be free is now only on pay tv. Monday Night Football? Its gone... unless you pay for it. Of course, non- fans are also forced to subsidize sports on pay TV - You can't "opt-out" of ESPN, and have it removed from your bill.

I can see a day in the not too distant future when the World Series and Superbowl will be pay-per-view only. That's really sad...

What's your opinion?

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
A year or two ago, I would have voted yes, but with Internet TV heating up....I'm thinking that sports programming providers will have to get more competitive or figure out a way to keep sports from internet television content providers.

MrPogi

Staff member
Internet will be pay or pay-per-view, unless someone independently streams (pirates) the games to the web, which is, of course, illegal. NFL, NBA, and MLB have deep pockets to chase down people and "Make an example" of them, as the RIAA has done with music.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
The determining factor here is the extent to which the leagues allow broadcasters to monetize their investment in broadcasting these hallmark events. As long as broadcasters can continue to monetize these broadcast rights at a rate higher than cable nets can use exclusive access to foster cable and satellite subscriptions, then these events will remain on free television.

cclc

DTVUSA Member
Just look at the outrageous ticket prices people pay to see the games in person and the stadiums are always full. A super bowl ticket is the hottest ticket in sports and people are willing to pay any amount for one. Some day we will have to pay big bucks to watch them on TV or via Internet. Heck, we'll have to pay to watch the Masters Golf Tournament in the future someday! Only thing i can say is look at Boxing...... Ten years ago they were getting big ticket and pay per view pricing now nothing cause the corruption was just to bad with all that big money being thrown around. If the big sports industry lets it get out of control there will be a point and time when people will get fed up with there antics and stop watching.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
I voted NO because advertising brings in tons of money during events such as these. If they were PPV, the number of viewers would be much lower so not worth so much to advertise on them.

Boxing IS another story because as already stated, the show could be over in just a few minutes. In contrast, you know the Super Bowl and World Series will air for several hours.

MrPogi

Staff member
That would be a plus for some advertisers, YES616. It would bring the cost of advertising on the Superbowl down from "outrageous!" to simply "ridiculous". I also think the loss of ad dollars would be compensated for by the revenue generated by the Superbowl. Not so much for the World Series, as the Superbowl is viewed as a "MUST-SEE" by so many - even those who could care less about football.

I do see much more chance of both going to pay TV rather than pay-per-view, however.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
What good is a low price if it comes only with much lower value? Consumers might commit that kind of self-spiting, but businesses generally do not have such narrow vision.