Portable TV

Jim1348

DTVUSA Member
Since the outlook for ATSC-M/H isn't great right now, I am a little reluctant to post this, but I might be interested in buying a small portable TV. I realize that the problem is if I get one with both ATSC and ATSC-M/H the Mobile DTV part may not work very long into the future. On the other hand, if I get a portable that is ATSC only, I have absolutely no option to use it while in motion. At any rate, ahs anybody ran across any reviews of the current crop of portable TVs? Actually, the ideal for me would be to get one that has:

-NTSC

-ATSC

-ATSC-M/H

However, I actually haven't ran across any that has all of that yet. That is not to say that they don't exist, but I just haven't ran across them yet. I would mainly be interested in the TV audio while in the vehicle, but I think the RCA tuner is ATSC-M/H only. Maybe my best option is any of the RCA TVs that are both ATSC and ATSC-M/H. I figure that at least that way I will h ave something when the current Mobile DTV standard is abandoned!

n2rj

Staff member
I have one from Innovative DTV solutions. It has the best screen and features I've seen in a portable TV. However, mine does not do M/H. But there are other models made by the same company that do.

MygoTV Mobile DTV Receivers Go Fast, by Doug Lung

They are being rebranded as RCA now.

Problem is, I haven't actually seen any for sale anywhere.

Last edited:

n2rj

Staff member
I am beginning to think that MDTV is going to be a turd bird. There doesn't seem to be much interest from anyone who can make it happen.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
It doesn't help that they keep changing the standard so nothing can actually launch.

- Trip

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Jim,

I have been waiting for the same thing in a small AC-DC-Battery portable TV (NTSC - ATSC - ATSC-M/H) and as a stop-gap, I bought a used 7" Haier on Craigslist for $35.00. It has terrible audio unless fed to a decent sound system and the picture ratio isn't quite 16/9 but a peculiar ratio, however, it sure worked well the last time we had a power outage here.

Jim