Question: Positioning OTA Antenna

jereece

DTVUSA Jr. Member
This may be a dumb question, but here goes. I purchased the Stellar Labs HDTV 80 Mile Deep Fringe Bowtie Television Antenna to mount in my attic. It came with no instructions. While it's pretty straight forward, one thing I question is which side should be pointed toward the signal source. I have signals from 2 basic directions so I will point one array towards one source and the other array towards the other source. The antenna arrays have bowties on one side. Should the bowties be on the back or front side of the antenna? Or does it matter?

I appreciate your help.

Jim

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Jim,

The bow-ties are the active receiving elements and need to be aimed toward the transmitters: the 'aluminum bars' are reflectors that improve what the bow-ties receive.

You should run a free antenna survey and post the result here for us to study: TV Fool --and for privacy reasons, exact addresses and coordinates will be not be shown in the output.

Also, the antenna you chose is not intended for VHF-Low or VHF-High TV channels, only UHF channels.

Jim

jereece

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I have now mounted my Stellar Labs HDTV 80 Mile Deep Fringe Bowtie Television Antenna in my attic. I used the results from TV Fool and Antenna Web to point the two antenna arrays. There are two channels (9.1 and 18.1) that I am not getting. See this image. The two station antennas are only 18 and 17 miles away, have very strong signal strength, are in the general direction of 5 total TV station antennas, but these two cross the tall buildings of downtown Charlotte, NC. So I assume the tall buildings are obstructing the signal? I get good signal from station antennas on either side of the two that I don't get and all 5 are within 20 miles, but the others pass on either side of downtown Charlotte. Am I correct that the buildings of Charlotte can this problem and is there any solution to this problem? I tried a signal booster but that does not help.