Prices dropping

Even though prices for large screen television sets are dropping, are you in a position where you can afford one? I've been looking at the possibility of buying one since November and now may be the time to strike.

andrew25

DTVUSA Member
Same here, I am seeing a drop in prices. Further LCD sets are reporting their lowest sales which means now they can come to low prices but unfortunately I had already bough a plasma set previous year but it is a good choice to go for a TV set now.

Postman

DTVUSA Member
Even though the price is dropping I just don’t have the money to buy one. I am having a hard time on making more money because of the economic crisis.

kyles414

DTVUSA Jr. Member
For me, honestly speaking, even though the prices are dropping, or lets say i can afford already to buy one...im still not buying...why?...that will not provide me an income!hehehe...rather it will increase my electricity bills...

dreamr802

DTVUSA Member
We jsut bought our tv...I forget how much we got it for but I remember my boyfriend saying we got a good deal. What I would LOVE to do is that when we move into a house I would love to move the bigger tv we have in the family room to the bedroom and the bedroom tv to the spare room and get a HUGE screen for the family room but of course when we move the prices will go back up with our luck.

Just for the sake of conversation, everything that is not considered a NEED is naturally going to experience a drop in its price in tough economic times. While a TV may not be on the top on the list of luxuries out there, it is still unessential so a drop in their prices is natural. So, if you happen to have enough spare, NOW is the best time to purchase one.

SuzanaD

DTVUSA Member
I can't afford one at this time but I am thinking about saving up for one in the future. They have very good deals online, so I am thinking about getting one online.

Piggie

Super Moderator
I love the short term life span. I saved for a 32 inch LCD. Found a super sale, two years ago for $425. That was cheap then. It quite working at 20 months old. crap. Pretty depressing really.

I love the short term life span. I saved for a 32 inch LCD. Found a super sale, two years ago for $425. That was cheap then. It quite working at 20 months old. crap. Pretty depressing really.
That's not typical for all LCDs though. I have a 3 year old one that I paid about $550 for, and it has lasted longer than my DLP which needed a bulb replacement after a year and a half. ;)

Piggie

Super Moderator
That's not typical for all LCDs though. I have a 3 year old one that I paid about $550 for, and it has lasted longer than my DLP which needed a bulb replacement after a year and a half. ;)
I am torn between opening it up myself, looking for a bad capacitor or solder joint or taking it to a guy I know that is good with LCDs. If I can fix it for under $200, then it's cheaper than replacing. I like the TV. I don't need 1080p, well not yet. My only input that is HD is OTA. I figured I this set would last 5 years (or hoped) and then BluRay, HD satellite might be cheaper along with 1080p.

I was thinking the other day. DirecTV on SD has about the same resolution as an OTA at 2 mbps, which is poor. I have looked at in on several receivers at friends houses with LCD TVs that are 720p screens.

That said if the source is good resolution even in 480i (which DirecTV is NOT), I like wide screen more than the resolution of HD, as long as the SD is done with good resolution. By good rez on SD I mean even my DVD player looks good in wide screen and it's not progressive. My progressive DVD player looks really good though it's not HD. OTA where the subs are 480i, but are at least 4mbps look very clear, even when they are letter box and blow them up to full screen.

Anyway, my point is I am more addicted to wide screen than super HD as long as it's not blurry like low bandwidth subs or DirecTV SD has become.