Pricing

attagirl

DTVUSA Member
Has anyone ever noticed that the price of their services has steadily risen over the last year. I have noticed price increases three times where I currently live and I am beginning to consider changing.

Byte24

DTVUSA Member
Go with Over-the-Air.

This is just me, but honestly, I spend 1 hour a day at most watching TV. Why do I want to pay an average of $2.00/hour when most of the shows I watch are on local stations. :)

jlweath

DTVUSA Rookie
Cox Price increase - March 2009

I got my Cox bill for this month and I was very disappointed in their increase to my bill. During these tough economical times they push through increases that increased my bill 6.8% from $258 to $278 with no increase in value to me, when so many in our country are suffering. They should be cutting your costs not increasing. Due to this increase we will cut some of our services we now take from Cox to compensate for the increase and if this increase trend continues we will seek total service elsewhere. I have always enjoyed Cox in the past, but this is unacceptable.

There reply back is

We apologize for any concerns resulting from the recent rate change to our cable/phone services, and understand how you feel about the price increase.

Please understand the price change was made in order to offset ever increasing operational expenses. But even with the latest rate increase, Cox Digital Telephone’s line and calling feature rates are comparable to and often lower than AT&T’s rates. In addition to offering significantly lower rates on phone lines, calling features and long distance plans, Cox has a 75% larger free local calling area and additional monthly savings when subscribing to the Cox Bundle. Also, this is the first time since we began offering telephone service over 10 years ago that we have raised primary line rates and Cox Digital Telephone still remains lower priced than AT&T, who recently raised their primary line rates to $13.50.

As required by the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), all Cox customers were notified during the February Billing Cycles to ensure that a minimum of 30 days’ advance notice of the price change was received. Customers receiving paper statements received a bill insert while paperless customers were sent an email notification. We apologize if you did not receive notification of this change
We hope that we have been able to provide you with the information you requested. If we have not, or if we can be of any additional service to you, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

I got my Cox bill for this month and I was very disappointed in their increase to my bill. During these tough economical times they push through increases that increased my bill 6.8% from $258 to $278 with no increase in value to me
Is that for their digital cable package tier? The FCC is paying attention, but who knows if they'll ever do anything to stop the rate hikes.

Check out this article - FCC concerned at trend of pay-TV rate hikes

FCC concerned at trend of pay-TV rate hikes
By Deborah Yao, AP Business Writer
CedMagazine.com - October 30, 2008
PHILADELPHIA (AP) – The Federal Communications Commission expressed concern as several cable companies discussed plans to raise their rates for next year, including Cablevision Systems Corp., which on Wednesday announced an average hike for cable TV service of 3.5 percent.

Cablevision noted that the price increase on video services falls below inflation and said it's also building a Wi-Fi network that its Internet subscribers will be able to use for free.

An FCC spokeswoman said the trend could hurt already-battered consumers.

"Over the last decade, average cable rates have more than doubled. And now cable companies are charging consumers more but consumers are receiving less," said spokeswoman Mary Diamond, referring to cable moving some analog channels to more expensive digital-only tiers.

kat77

DTVUSA Member
I lower my bill by also cutting some service, have you every thought to change your phone service probably to something like magic jack or changing your internet speed.

tj716

DTVUSA Member
I don't suggest changing to MajicJack because of the overload of people that are using that now, and the issues that they are having with it because of that.

As far as the bill goes last year before we added everything we went from 138 to 158 in a matter of 12 months and that was just with basic extend not digital and the premier internet.