Problem getting one station

cbird

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I have a RCA yagi antenna model #3036x it says that it has a fringe range of 60 miles. I have it mounted on my roof top it is about 30 feet off the ground and I installed the channel master 7777 preamp. I am able to get all the stations I want except 17.1.
I live in a valley with large hills all around me and I was wondering if I got a bigger antenna would it help me get 17.1. I was considering getting the winegard hd8200U, but I would like some advice on if it will help before I spend the money for a new antenna. Thanks

TV Fool

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: cbird!

You are in a deep-fringe location and your existing antenna was a very good choice, if you are receiving real channels 5, 8 and 11. If so, I would be very hesitant to remove it.

My thought would be to maintain it as a VHF antenna and combine it with an ultra-high-gain UHF antenna like a Winegard HD-9095 using the special UVSJ combiner/balun which is built into that Winegard antenna. Your current antenna would continue to receive low and high-band VHF and the 9095 would capture the UHF channels and hopefully 17.1 which is 'real channel' 15.

Jim

cbird

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks for the response. I receive real channels 5,10,21,27,8,36,22. Yet real channel 15 which has the same azimuth as some of the channels I get now I can't get a signal. So if I get the Winegard HD 9095 do I just mount it below my current antenna on the same mast?

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
cbird,

Before you buy another antenna you should move your existing antenna up and down, say 6" at a time and rescan for new channels. A foot or two up or down (proven by multiple rescans) may establish 'real' 15 ... but, you may lose other channels in the process. Often but not always, antenna height is king.

I simple terms, HD signals come in layers something like an ice cream sandwich ... Finding the exact "right" height can take a day or more.

You have already captured more than I would have expected, so my concern is to not lose any of them, thus adding a fringe UHF antenna may be the answer for you.

Problem: they should not be located close to each other. The theoretical math says 3 feet @ channel 35 for antenna seperation and that's as close I would locate a second antenna to your existing working antenna.

Locating it lower three feet or lower on the same mast may be a problem: too low. Could you establish a second mast on wall brackets or on a chimney? That would be best. Then, test it at various heights until you hit the 'sweet-spot'.

Jim

Last edited:

cbird

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Ok I tried moving the antenna up and down still couldn't get real channel 15. I put it back at original height and then re-aimed it using a compass. Still couldn't get real channel 15. I have heard people talk about getting stronger signals at night so with nothing to lose I did a scan and got real channel 15 it was very choppy though and fine tuning the antenna did not bring the signal in any better. So I think I am going with your suggestion adding the high gain uhf antenna. Thank you for all your help.

cbird

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I received my antenna today. I installed it at the top of the mast and moved the RCA down 3 feet. I did this because I am only looking to get 2 channels that are on the VHF band and they are strong signals. Anyway I now get channel 17.1. I still need to do some fine tuning on the aiming to get the best signal which is a little tedious since Vizio doesn't have a signal meter. I just wanted to say thanks for the help.