Problem with all channels occasionally pixilating or completely dropping out

Rfgenerator

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I've had a setup with the following since last December.
-Clearstream C2V antenna
-Rotor
-Antennacraft 10G212 preamp
-50feet of RG6 cable

I have been receiving a handful of stations solidly w/o pixilation or problems.
Typical signal strength I receive on these stations shows as between 3 and 7 bars (out of 10).

In the last week I was watching a station that typically is at 7/10 for strength and it pixilated and then completely disappeared. I switched between a number of stations and received nothing. I unscrewed the cable going to the indoor part of the preamp and screwed it back in and the stations returned but soon pixilated and a few minutes later completely disappeared. I repeated the procedure and observed the signal strength of 7 out 10, but as it stayed on a few minutes it kept making very quick dips down to 1/10, sometimes it would bounced back up but at times it would completely go out. I have replaced the RG6 cable and the problem is persisting. My suspicion at this point is the 10G212 preamp has developed a problem. Specifically I'm wondering if during the winter moisture has gotten into the part of the preamp on the mast.
Anyone have any thoughts on this? Know if any reliability problems with the 10G212 have been reported?
Thanks,

n2rj

Staff member
Well anything is possible.

I had a preamp that was damaged from a lightning strike. I have a 10G212 though, but I am not really using it.

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Are the Clear Stream 2's, etc. the antennas that sometimes have issues with their built in baluns cracking and allowing moisture to leak in?

If it's the one I'm thinking of I've heard they'll send you a replacement balun for free so you might want to give them a call and see.

Are the Clear Stream 2's, etc. the antennas that sometimes have issues with their built in baluns cracking and allowing moisture to leak in?
No, but the housing sometimes fills with water. Shake it and see if it has water in it. If so, drill a small hole or two and let the water out and it will work fine. They now have drain holes in some of them to prevent future problems.

Last edited by a moderator: