Problem with dvd/tv hook up

Wingnut

DTVUSA Rookie
Hello, this is my first posting, I appreciate all help offered.

I have an older Panasonic tv CT-27D12DF and a new Magnavox dvd/recorder box ZC320MW8B/F7. I have hooked up the 3 component video cables and two audio cables to the extent that I can watch DVDs. My problem is that I have not been able to establish a connection to view the dvd on-screen menu.

Anyone know how to do this?

SWHouston

Staff member
I had a similar problem, and it was that the TV didn't have high enough resolution, to display the Menu with the settings I had entered into the Box. Do you have a "resolution" switch/setting on the Box, and know the max resolution of your TV ?

IOW, set your Box video output to match the TV.

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: Wingnut,

You said you have 5 cables connected from your new "DVD recorder box" to your TV and that seems to me to be an unusual setup. My DVR has a coaxial cable output and it also has a Component cable (3-wire) output which handles video and audio. I wonder what your extra two wires are being used for?

Have you been able to use it to view a DVD or is it only a recorder? Is its' channel output (3 or 4) matching the TV set?

Back to your question about being unable to view the menu - I don't have a clue! Perhaps it's defective.

Please keep us posted.

Jim

* More: I Googled the unit and there is very little information available.

"It's a tunerless, line-in only DVD recorder manufactured by Funai." ZC320MW8B/F7 Magnavox - Philips Support

----(I assume this means it only uses Component wires and it has no provision for coaxial cable)

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Staff member
SW,

That's different than my setup. My CM-7000 PAL DVR is connected via coax to my HDTV and I use the 3-wire Yellow/White/Red output from the DVR to feed a small Haier AC-DC-Battery TV so I can keep an eye on what is being recorded or to watch a second channel.

Jim

SWHouston

Staff member
Jim,

I see, wise idea to monitor. I'm about to do the same thing, save that I'm going to put together a separate "stand" where the Monitor and Recorder can be moved in or out of the way. I just bought a Sony 400 Disk BRay Carousel, and am "loading" it up ! :dancing:

Fringe Reception

Staff member
SW,

You are one step ahead of me: I found a Sony CDP-CX455 400 disc CD Carousel on Craigslist and I'm about to load it!
Like minds!

Jim