Promotional pricing for one year but prices increase?

n2rj

Staff member
My mom got Dish network about 8 months ago.

She signed up for a promotion where she would get 1 year for $29.99. Then 8 months into it, her price gets raised to $39.99. She called Dish and they claimed that because of the price increases with the networks they have to raise the price.

But the promotion for AT100 for $29.99 for 1 year is still being advertised for new subscribers.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/packages/detail.aspx?pack=AT100

What exactly is going on here?

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Dishonesty! Is there such a thing as an honest pay-TV provider? Does anyone know of any pay-TV provider who treats its customers fairly?

Does your aunt have her contract? This seems to be a possible breach of contract to me, though they may have writen it such that they could raise the price without warning. If they say $29.99 for a year that should mean $29.99 for the year. Not $29.99 for 8 months and then a 33% rate hike.

Last edited:

DanB_DISH

DTVUSA Member
We do reserve the right to change pricing and programming at any time, even during a commitment. However, something isn't quite right with the details here. The total increase should have been around $5, the package advertised for $29 is probably a lower or different package from what you are subscribed to. I would love to take a look into this and straighten this out, please PM me.

n2rj

Staff member
Thanks Dan.

This is my mom's account, not mine, so maybe I can give you her contact info and you can talk with her. I'll call her and ask her for more details as well. I'm not exactly clear as to what happened, but she did say her price went up and I think it was $39. I have to double check.

However what she was not happy about was that the price went up while she was in a 1 year promo period while new subs are getting the same $29.99 promo for 1 year. To me this doesn't seem right.

But I'll try to find out more.

Ryan J

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
That's definitely fishy. Changing promotional increases is not ethical, but then Dish has been known to value the almighty dollar in some questionable ways, according to stories that have appeared on my local news channels. I do hope this person gets the problem fixed.

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
Guaranteeing the price won't change while putting it in the contract that it can change whenever Dish decides to change it sounds a hell of a lot like false advertising to me.

From their terms of service...
(read the bold print first)

I. Changes in Services Offered. We may add, delete, rearrange and/or change any and all programming, programming packages and other Services that we offer, as well as the prices and fees related to such programming, programming packages and Services, at any time, including without limitation, during any term commitment period to which you have agreed. If a change affects you, we will notify you of such change and its effective date. In the event that we delete, rearrange or change any programming, programming packages or other Services, we have no obligation to replace or supplement such programming, programming packages or other Services. You are not entitled to any refund because of a deletion, rearrangement or change of any programming, programming packages or other Services.

So keep running them promotions Dish Network because gawd knows the pay tv industry needs all the help it can get, and keep screwing your subscribers over. Run 'em off as fast as you can and one day soon your industry will think they're in a freakin' Arbys commercial yelling "Where did everybody go?"

DanB_DISH

DTVUSA Member
Prices do go up from time to time, this is the nature of any industry. It is unfortunate that they may raise when a customer starts out, like the OP's mother experienced (we are working with her on this matter). We do understand this, we also understand that times are difficult and not everybody can afford rate increases. This is why we have instituted a two year price freeze on all of the America's top packages, this includes our top 120,120+, 200 and 250. We are the only provider in the industry to freeze our pricing for all of our customers. We also consistently work to negotiate the lowest possible price with all of our channel providers. We do care about our customers and do constantly keep them in mind when setting rates.

Orrymain

I think the price freeze is super, but in all fairness, it should be across the board. If you want to help Americans recover, that's the thing to do, not hook 'em and ... well, you know. I am glad you are working Ryan's mother on this, but it shouldn't even have been an issue in my mind.

DanB_DISH

DTVUSA Member
I appreciate your opinion on this matter, and of course am glad to help out anyone I can when I can. The idea behind a commitment isn't to hook customers then raise the rate. When a rate increases occurs, it impacts all of our customers whether or not they have a commitment. We do offer promotions without a contract as well the most popular is the DHA agreement. Under this agreement, you still get the same promotional pricing and there is no 24 month comittment but there is a $99 dollar activation fee. Also to clarify, the price freeze was put into effect at the same time as our increase, so all of our customers with those packages are included new or old. I can understand that it would be nice if the freeze cover all of our packages, but it is something no other provider has offered. Basically put we are working hard to maintain the lowest pricing for all of our customers.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
My number one complaint for the pay-TV industry as a whole is the bait and switch pricing. And, this type of open ended (on the house's side) contracts ultimately are going to lose more money for Dish than it gains. There are reasons that Dish lost 204,000 subscribers in the last three quarters of 2010, and this type of stuff is a major factor. If the commitment was bilateral rather than unilateral Dish would build enough customer loyalty to make up for any short term losses. Saying that we're trying to keep the prices down for all our customers doesn't cut it. Following through on a real commitment, even when it hurts, would!!!

Orrymain

I appreciate the input, but my recommendation is this. Be loyal to those promotional packages. Just like you'd charge someone for pulling the plug early, you should honor what you state. There shouldn't be fine print. You want to gain and keep customers? Honor your word and don't rely on two sentence 'but if' in the terms and conditions.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
I saw something like this written into a contract I was getting into several years ago with Dish. I told the installer I wouldn't sign it unless that paragraph was stricken from the contract. He called his supervisor and it was OK'd. I crossed out the paragraph stating that Dish had the right to change the promo pricing at any time and I and the installer initaled it just off to the side.

The next February, when Dish usually changes prices, my price stayed the same for several more months.

Just one warning! If you are getting some sort of freebie for some length of time (in my case it was Cinemax for a year for a penny), don't change anything about your account or you may loose the freebie!

Salyas

DTVUSA Rookie
Hello Dan, I got Dish at the end of Dec 2010, was my second time, the first time I canceled because of the continuos changing of my monthly bill (and the price). When I called I asked many times about the price, if will increase in the following months, I have a budget to follow and, with the economy and all the problems, Dish is really an extra now, for this reason for me is really important to have a fix monthly payment. She told me that I'll have 2 years commitment and 1 year price guarante! I started Dec 23, 2010 and thru Jan 2011 was fine but Feb I got $5 more in the top250, from $64.99 was increase at $69.99, when I called he apologized and he told me that I'll have a $5 credit. I never get it, after 2 statment I wrote Dish and he thanked me for the feedback. It wasn't a feedback was a complaine, and I wrote that as I canceled the first time I would do a second time. Two years are going fast and it is not fair and correct for the costumer to be trat like this. I'm really disappointed for many reason with dish, it is not possible that we cannot trust anybody. Thank you.