PS4 vs Xbox One

It is no secret that the big debate in gaming this year is between the Playstation 4 and the Xbox One. Both systems have their pros and cons and the decision will depend ultimately on your personal preferences, however, I wanted to provide a quick overview to each system.

First, the Playstation 4. The PS4 will be released on November 15, 2013. The console is priced at $399.99. The system is a powerhouse. Its most prominent powerful specs are the 8 GB of GDDR 5 ram and the AMD X86 Jaguar processor. The GDDR 5 ram is a technological feat in the field of gaming consoles. Past generations of gaming consoles hold DDR 3 ram. By creating a system with GDDR 5 ram is the same ram used in graphics cards for PCs, which allows game developers to make more games for the system. The AMD X86 Jaguar processor is another feature of the PS4. Previously, the PS3 had its own cell processor, which made it difficult for game developers to create games for the systems. Additionally, the system comes with 500 GB of hard drive space. While this seems like a good bit, it is important to remember that each game will likely require at least 50 GB of install space. The hard drive space is said to be able to be removed, and replaced, but because the system has not yet been released, no one has stated how easy it will be to do this. The removal of the hard drive would allow the gamer to have several games installed on each hard drive. The system is being anticipated for many different aspects, but the overall power is something that gamers are most looking forward to.

View attachment 2651
Image via Rude Baguette

The Xbox One will be released on November 22, 2013. The release is exactly one week later than the release of the Playstation 4. The console will be sold for $499.00. The system has 8 GB of DDR 3 ram and an AMD X86 Jaguar processor. The system comes with the Kinnect 2.0 as a separate device but part of the package. The Kinnect 2.0 (as well as the rest of the system) responds to voice commands and the Kinnect has face recognition software. The hard drive of the Xbox One is the same as the Playstation 4: 500 GB of hard drive space. A major feature that Xbox One buyers are looking forward to is the ability to watch movies and stream live videos. The console has an HDMI import that you can plug in your cable antenna into. Because of this import, you will be able to stream straight from your Xbox One, eliminating the use of a cable box. The Xbox One is too being anticipated for its power, but many are looking forward to the system for its HDMI TV and movie capabilities.

View attachment 2652
Image via Video Game Charts, Game Sales, Top Sellers, Game Data - VGChartz

As far as exclusive games for each console, several have been released and/or announced. The most anticipated for the PS4 would probably be Killzone: Shadowfall. Later in the year, Infamous: 2nd Sun will be released, another much anticipated title. The Xbox One will be releasing Dead Rising 3 as one of its exclusives, a zombie survival game. Forza 5, a racing title, will also be released as an Xbox exclusive. Later in 2014, Titanfall will be released as an exclusive as well.

The ability to play previous games on each console is a shaky and uncertain topic. Both consoles are said to be able to stream your games for previous consoles in the future, but this ability is not contained in the original release. Both systems also contain Blu Ray optical drives to allow you to watch high definition blu ray movies. Additionally, both systems have a necessary update upon release that will need to be downloaded to enable many features on the system, such as multiplayer use.

A final factor to be considered is in brand loyalty. Some will buy a Playstation 4 instead of an Xbox One solely for the fact that they owned a PS3 and PS2 before that. Others will purchase an Xbox One because they are loyal to Xbox consoles.
Each console most definitely has its pros and cons. Which will you choose?

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
I'll have neither one. Too much money at around $50 a game plus the cost of the game machine itself, and the gaming industry seems to be headed down a path where games are bought online and tied to one machine - they can't be sold when you're done with them.

If you can't sell it, you never really owned it.

James

DTVUSA Member
I just bought the latest 360. I considered this one but really I am not a big gamer. I use Xbox as a portal to Netflix. I don't have a TV capable of connecting to a network so the Xbox does it for me. I think if I found a game that I really liked I could get into it..but it is expensive and my time is limted. I play a game to relax, not to get competitive. Peggle, Zuma. I can't beat Zuma though. Been trying for three years.