PSIP Time suddenly off by 1 hour on several (but not all) channels

NYCLA*

DTVUSA Member
Suddenly today, this early evening specifically, the PSIP time is off on KCBS, KNBC, KABC, WWOR, WNET, WNYE, but correct on WPIX, WPXN, and WNYW. It's weird that so many stations have gone wrong by one hour at the same time but the other three have stayed correct. What could cause this mass error on the part of so many stations all at once?

NYCLA*

DTVUSA Member
God I forget what city I live in anymore. I mean WCBS, WNBC, and WABC.

But no, there was no time change today, the time doesn't change until November 1st. Seems like lots of stations here in NYC f-----d up.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Suddenly today, this early evening specifically, the PSIP time is off on KCBS, KNBC, KABC, WWOR, WNET, WNYE, but correct on WPIX, WPXN, and WNYW. It's weird that so many stations have gone wrong by one hour at the same time but the other three have stayed correct. What could cause this mass error on the part of so many stations all at once?
One of my TV's has a setting to automatically compensate for DST or not.

This is a spec I have no idea what is right or wrong.

But on my TV that has the choice, if you set it to compensate for DST, all my stations are correct (when they are set right at the station).

So I assume from empirical data based on only one TV that has that feature, if the station adjusts for DST, then it has a bit set so my TV doesn't also adjust. But if the bit is not set then it adjusts for DST.

Back to the point, it drove me crazy why some of my channels were an hour off until I found that choice in a menu on that TV.

NYCLA*

DTVUSA Member
Well, it's definitely a problem with the stations who have the wrong time. When I went into the System Setup menu and changed the option on the DTV Pal Plus to "No" for "Daylight Savings Time Observed" all channels displayed the same incorrect time. When I changed it back to "Yes", WPXN, WNYW, and WPIX reverted back to the correct time, while all the other stations stayed on the wrong time.

NYCLA*

DTVUSA Member
The guide data is messed up too. For instance, the guide data has the Jay Leno Show listed as being on from 9:00-10:00 PM when it's really on from 10:00-11:00 PM Eastern. It's like all those channels are showing time and guide data for the Central Time Zone. I guess since the time is off, it's messing up all the times down the line in the guide data too.

Piggie

Super Moderator
when my time is off my guide is off. They are tied together in software obviously as it does that on my TV. Time is off, so is the program data.

non perfect world. if it doesn't help the bottom line, why fix it?

NYCLA*

DTVUSA Member
A lot of people on the AVS forum are also complaining about their PSIP time being off by one hour today, at least in the DTV Pal DVR forum, so this is not just New York. Someone posted this information:

A little background on what is happening -

As part of the ATSC specs, the stations are supposed to send some flags about a month before a change in DST status is supposed to happen (i.e. either come on or turn off). Things have usually gotten very wierd about this time for ATSC tuners that get their time from the stations. My personal advice is to set your time zone to one ahead (i.e. if your in Eastern then set for Atlantic, etc.), and turn off DST for now, until the change actually happens. After DST changes, put it back to your correct timezone.

It would be VERY HELPFUL if you post anything unusual happening about time not correct, timers off etc.
UPDATE: As of 12:25 AM, Oct. 2, all channels are displaying the correct time again, after I went back into system set up and juggled my time zone setting through the different options (Central, Mountain, Pacific, Alaska, Hawai'i, and then back to Eastern). Weird, but it seems to have done something, because before I did that, the time was still off.

Last edited:
A lot of people on the AVS forum are also complaining about their PSIP time being off by one hour today, at least in the DTV Pal DVR forum, so this is not just New York. Someone posted this information:

UPDATE: As of 12:25 AM, Oct. 2, all channels are displaying the correct time again, after I went back into system set up and juggled my time zone setting through the different options (Central, Mountain, Pacific, Alaska, Hawai'i, and then back to Eastern). Weird, but it seems to have done something, because before I did that, the time was still off.
Did you have to set your time zone differently than where you're located?

NYCLA*

DTVUSA Member
Did you have to set your time zone differently than where you're located?
No I did not. All I did was run the menu through all the time zones - each time I landed on a new time zone, the time changed - and then set it correctly back to Eastern. The time was now correct again on all channels. Your mileage may vary depending on what make of box you have. I have a DTV Pal Plus.