Question: PVC Conduit

As I'm looking for some time to install my new cabling, I'm wondering about protecting the cables from any errant squirrels that may find their way into my attic. We haven't really had much of a problem since we got the cat, but at one time they chewed their way through the siding, and then they chewed through the replacement siding, and then they gnawed through the 2x4 we placed over the hole! I'm pretty sure my older coaxial cabling was gnawed upon by the little demons at some point or another.

So, in an effort to protect as much of the cabling as possible from future rodent interlopers, I've considered using PVC electrical conduit. This would protect the cabling in the attic, which would be two and someday maybe 3 cables running through it.Does anyone have any experience with using PVC conduit? Does it cause any problems that anyone is aware?

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
ATL,

The only problem would be if you used tight 90 degree fittings to change the direction of your cable runs because if possible, Coax should not be 'bent' any tighter than the radius of a coffee mug.

As far as I know, PVC isn't of interest to rodents. I had a problem with furry tree rats finding their way into my attic two winters back and it took all summer to 'dispatch' them. UGH. Even worse, two of our cars were attacked by mice: they ate the insulation on the fuel injector wiring on one car and ate through the rubber fuel line feeding the fuel injectors on my Ford Explorer. Its a special 'formed' tube and cost nearly $250 to replace ... twice in one year! I learned modern automotive wiring insulation and some tubing are soy-based products.

Jim

Edit: I tried to post a photo but for some reason it isn't showing. I'll work on it.

Last edited:
if possible, Coax should not be 'bent' any tighter than the radius of a coffee mug.
Hmm... This might also explain why my "old" cable isn't functioning well. There are several locations where it's pulled tight around an attic stud, or bent sharply at a cable tie. I'm starting to wonder if the previous install was done by professional idiots, or just by the previous homeowner who perhaps didn't really know what he was doing.

Also, I assume you mean a "normal" coffee mug. The radius on mine would is... Well, let's just say it's quite a bit bigger.

#coffeeislife

SWHouston

Staff member
PVC is great to work with. Easy to cut and glue, and if you buy a long radius Ell, you won't have to worry about a Coax Crimp.
You'll need a Puller. Probably one used for Electrical Wire, and some Wire Lubricant. The Coax won't slide easily through the PVC.
I wouldn't use Electrical Boxes, they're too small to permit gentle curves in the Coax. Just separate the ends of the PVC and Splitter enough to where you can just nail/screw a piece of Plyboard to cover them. Once you're done, you need to go back periodically and check if there's any attempt to gnaw through anything. Rodents are very determined !

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Questions and Answers 0