question about my set-up....

kamikaze

DTVUSA Rookie
hey guys. i'm new. anyway, i have a sylvania dtv, i did run the dtv for like.... 5 minutes when i first move dinto this apt. over a year ago. i really didnt notice much difference so i wasnt too impressed. i have an older A/V surround sound receiver (5.1, with 1 optical in) and i have everything runing into that. (all my videogames, the tv, vcr, dvd, verything) as far as the TV goes, i'm just on bunny ears cause i'm cheap :p i have teh bunny ears going into the vcr which is a random Emerson vcr. then i have RCA lines going from the vcr to the A/V Receiver. then i have just 1 yellow cable going into a video input on my tv. My tv is just a monitor the shows picture, where the sound comes through teh surround sound system.

behind my tv and recevier is a HUGE mess of wires and cables. i have 11 video game consoles, dvd, vcr, and so on... 3 different surge protectors (fire waiting to happen) srround sound cables.... its a huge wad of mess. i have not even attempted to re-run the dtv crap, but the thing is... my A/V receiver has no uh.... 'cable jack' (whatever that format is called... cable?) before i pull it out and start doing crap... will this set-up work......

bunny ears to cable input on TV, RCA out of tv into vcr, then RCA into A/V Receiver. will that still carry the DTV signal? and further more will the tv audio be coming through on the tv speakers with that set-up?

if the answer is no... to either, how should i set this up to work out?

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
i have 11 video game consoles
11 game consoles! You must have every generation of Playstation, XBOX, and Nintendo connected to that TV. ;)

my A/V receiver has no uh.... 'cable jack' (whatever that format is called... cable?)
I think you're referring to the coax connecton on your A/V receiver which is also known as a RF connector.

bunny ears to cable input on TV, RCA out of tv into vcr, then RCA into A/V Receiver. will that still carry the DTV signal? and further more will the tv audio be coming through on the tv speakers with that set-up?
When you say bunny ears to cable input on TV, do you mean coax cable/rf connection to the TV from your converter box output?

Here's a setup I would use...

If you have a space available on the back of your receiver, I would RCA out of your converter box into an extra input on your receiver (treating the connection as if it were a vcr, so you could actually use a VCR 1 input or VCR 2 input on the receiver). Since you've already got video output on the receiver to the video of the TV, you wouldn't need an extra connection. You would have to switch the receiver "on" if you want audio while you watch television, but this setup would allow you to watch digital television and get audio from your exisisting "home theater" speakers.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Another way you could connect the converter box would be to have it output into the input of the VCR, since you've already got an output to the television from the VCR. :D

OK just a suggestion.
When I have these yarn balls behind something I just rip it all out and start agin. get the converter, tv, vcr and sound system all working then start adding the game consoles, you may find you don't even want all the stuff hook up anymore I find that I leave stuff hook up I never use, and don't think about till I do major cable surgery HA HA . :D

Last edited:

Byte24

DTVUSA Member
OK just a suggestion.
When I have then yarn balls behind something I just rip it all out and start agin. get the converter, tv, vcr and sound system all working then start adding the game consoles, you may find you don't even want all the stuff hook up anymore I find that I leave stuff hook up I never use, and don't think about till I do major cable surgery HA HA . :D
You are so right on this. I've got a really cheap home theater setup in my apartment, but I still have like 10 devices that all connect together which includes games, vcrs, dvd, tuner, etc. and I'm staring at it right now. lol It's a mess, I think I have a new weekend chore.

kamikaze

DTVUSA Rookie
11 game consoles! You must have every generation of Playstation, XBOX, and Nintendo connected to that TV. ;)
a
throw out nintendo and replace it with sega. =D

i have no converter box. my tv is DTV ready straight off the store shelf. i've already ran it that way before, but changed it to run my signal through the vcr.

with that in mind anyone have any solutions nixing teh converter box? it would be so much easier if i had teh box... but i dotn see the since in fueling teh government scheme :p

kamikaze

DTVUSA Rookie
ah screw it. my receiver does not have any coax inputs, only rca inputs, and inputs for fm/am radio antennas. my tv set does not have ANY outputs at all, but has 2 rca inputs, and 1 component input, and one coax input. so bottom line, if i want to hook dtv up to my vcr, and record anything with my vcr, i'm just going to have to get one of these stupid converter stupid things, which i think is the governemtns way of getting money out of us. oh well...