Question - Connect Panasonic DMR-E75V to a Samsung LED HDTV

Pat Gatto

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Hi,

I just purchased a Samsung LED HDTV. Will I be able to connect my Panasonic Combo DVDr/VCR to the Samsung? My purpose is to record shows on Comcast non-HD channels. Will the recording quality be the same as with the older non-HD TV's?

Thanks!

PG

SWHouston

Staff member
Greetings Pat welcome to the Forum ! :welcome:

I'd say yes.
Regardless of what your new LCD is capable of showing (Hi Def)
the recorder will only put out what it was originally designed to.

Your TV will show it in the Recorder's original format, and it will be quite obvious compared to your OTA (if you have an Antenna) or Cable/Sat HD.

Have a good Day ! :)
S.W.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
I just purchased a Samsung LED HDTV. Will I be able to connect my Panasonic Combo DVDr/VCR to the Samsung? My purpose is to record shows on Comcast non-HD channels. Will the recording quality be the same as with the older non-HD TV's?
Congratulations. I just replied to your connection question HERE, but I see you've decided to upgrade your television. That's great, and it will assure that you have enough connection ports. Samsung always provided a variety.

The recording quality would not be affected by what television you have, but the perceived playback quality will probably be. One of the more difficult realities is that, while HD looks great on HDTVs, many people feel that content that is not HD (standard definition content) looks worse on HDTVs than on older standard definition televisions. That's regardless of whether the standard definition content is recorded or not. HDTVs generally exacerbate the imperfections that have always been a standard characteristic of standard definition broadcasts, imperfections that were almost unnoticeable on standard definition televisions.

Generally, some folks deal with it for a while, but unless the added expense is a concrete barrier, I find that most folks in your situation find themselves upgrading their standard cable box to an HD box, and replacing their VCRs, DVDrs, and standard definition DVRs with an HD DVR, either rented from the cable company or they purchase a TiVo HD.

O-O

DTVUSA Member
I was hesitant on upgrading to an HD DVR but haven't looked back since getting mine. I rarely watch live TV anymore mostly because I have little patience for commercials. Back to the original post, Bicker and SW covered the answer pretty well.

Pat Gatto

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Bicker,

Sorry for the late reply. I was busy today. Went to a football game and did a little Christmas shopping. The reason I wrote and asked twice was I'm undecided and didn't wan to ask too much in one post. I do plan in the future to upgrade to blu-ray or other methods which are better suited for HD.

PG

SWHouston

Staff member
Pat,

Just a queston...
Do you have an OTA System at your house ?
That's what we call it, when one has a personally owned Antenna for local stations, and gets Free TV (HD included).

Many of us can get 30 or more Channels, and I personally can testify that the quality of the OTA HD, is FAR superior to what I can get with my Comcast service.

S.W.

Pat Gatto

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Pat,

Just a queston...
Do you have an OTA System at your house ?
That's what we call it, when one has a personally owned Antenna for local stations, and gets Free TV (HD included).

Many of us can get 30 or more Channels, and I personally can testify that the quality of the OTA HD, is FAR superior to what I can get with my Comcast service.

S.W.
Unfortunately no.

SWHouston

Staff member
Pat,

Think about installing a simple system !

I live on the Gulf Coast, very high winds at times, and my Cable has gone out for over a week on occasion.
The Definition of a (reasonably priced) OTA System, is FAR better than what I receive via Cable.
I live in an HOA, and have my antenna installed in my Attic, and a simple run of Coax into the House, which gives me FREE HD TV with (for me) more than 30 Channels, including Weather, PBS, all the National Broadcasters.
It's a GREAT backup, and I wouldn't do without it, now that I have it.

"Usually", one can get a setup (parts) for about $100, and at times UNDER that !
Some, can make do very well with an Indoor Antenna, and that's under $25 usually.

S.W.

Last edited: