Question re: Converter box necessary?

balou1230

DTVUSA Rookie
Okay, I'm sure someone has asked this before but I didn't see the answer. If I receive cable directly from the wall into my TV with no cable box. Will I still need a converter box?

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Okay, I'm sure someone has asked this before but I didn't see the answer. If I receive cable directly from the wall into my TV with no cable box. Will I still need a converter box?
You won't need a converter box at this time. The cable company may at any time change the hardware they're using, but that has nothing to do with the transition. You should be good for a while.

Cable companies have until 2012 I believe to decide on what their final plans will be as for discontinuing analog cable services and making everyone get a set top box.

Not an over the air box, but a Cable box.

bicker

DTVUSA Member
Actually, they can go "all-digital" at any time: The regulation provides them two options... either leave analog running, or provide (perhaps for a fee) a converter box that has analog video outputs. They have to offer one or the other until at least 2012 (when presumably they can make everything digital and stop offering converter boxes with analog outputs).

Having said that, in most areas, they're going to leave the local broadcast channels in analog for the duration. They may require you to have a box on every television for cable channels, though. However, that change-over, if it happens, has nothing to do with the broadcast DTV transition on June 12.

yeah, they can do it whenever they decide to of course. An article I read a few months back about it said the following:

"if the cable company wanted to, they could make your screen go to fuzz tomorrow morning"