Questions and Confusion regarding "grounding" an antenna and cable

robrpb

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I have read the sticky on "Grounding an Antenna" and RF Steve attached a diagram to one of my threads regarding grounding an antenna. I have also read some material on the internet and I am still a little confused.

I have installed about a 1-5/16" OD mast that is about 20' high and it is about 12" buried in the ground. I have a bracket about 8' off the ground attached to the soffit on my house to support the mast. The outside electric (underground) enters my house on the west side and my antenna mast is on the south side around the corner about 45' away. Grounding the antenna mast to the electric ground on the west side of my house is far away and around a corner and from what I have read here and on the internet that is not a good idea.

My question is, if I put in a ground rod near the antenna mast, where would the best place to locate it? How far from my house? The mast is again, buried about 12" in the ground and about 25" away from the house.

Putting in a ground rod do I also need to connect it to the ground on the west side of my house where the current one is or can I leave it as a stand alone ground just for my antenna? I have read something about some levels (?) being unequal if things are not balanced and this is where I am most confused.

My plan is to attach a ground clamp at the bottom of the mast and one on the ground rod. The distance between them will be about 2' and I plan to use solid bare #6 wire to connect them. Is that okay?

Under my soffit I will attach a coax ground block and I plan to run the ground wire down along side the mast and then connect it to the ground block using #10 solid wire. Is that okay? The run will be about 10'. Thanks. Rob

SWHouston

Staff member
There are three reasons for Grounding an Antenna/Mast System:

1: Local Electrical Codes require it.
2: To eliminate Static Electricity which deteriorates the signals.
3: To brag to you neighbors that your system is grounded. (my personal favorite :dancing:)

Seems to me, that the depth that you have the Mast buried, would be sufficient to clear any static.
And IF you insist on having a GRod, just sink it along side the Mast, and run the clamps/wire short.
Going around the house to connect to your House Ground, would be superfluous, given the distance.
Yes, 10ga will probably do nicely, but, check your Local Codes, some require 8ga.

Tip:
You didn't say that you closed the bottom end of your Mast, it's very likely that it will sink some/a lot. Given it rains and the ground wets and dries over and over, that just is a natural effect from the weight of the Mast.
Since it's buried rather shallow, I'd get a Brick, or a Pre-cast Concrete Block, 2"x6"x6" will do, dig out where you can slip it under the mast, and just cover it back with dirt. That should keep it from sinking.

Last edited:

robrpb

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks SWHoustom for your reply. I was going to use a GRod because I thought I needed to ground the mast to it. If the mast is okay the way it is I won't use a GRod (and it will save me some work). That was part of my confusion regarding grounding.

I am glad that I don't have to run a wire to the house ground (more work saved).

I will use 8ga and not the 10ga and be done with it. Can I ground the cable ground block high on the mast near the support bracket (roof level) since I don't need a GRod?

I did not mention it, but I did put a brick in the bottom of the hole for the mast to rest on. I did not plug the opening at the bottom of the mast. I did not even think of doing that since I put a brick in the hole. Thanks again for your help. Rob

SWHouston

Staff member
Rob,
The 8ga wire would apply IF you were going to install a Rod.
If I understand this, you just intend to install a Ground tap near your eves.
IF that's correct, then you won't have to use a wire at all, if you attach the Tap to your Mast.
When you attach (bolt/screw) the tap to your Mast, that will furnish the ground.

What is your reasoning for grounding ?

Last edited:

robrpb

DTVUSA Jr. Member
From what I have read (and there is a sticky too) I thought I had to ground the antenna and cable. SWHouston, you gave several reasons for grounding too, and that is my reasoning for grounding. Am I missing something???

SWHouston

Staff member
Rob,
No, you don't have to ground your Mast, unless there's a local reg requiring it.
The slight connection that the Mast to earth has will very likely prevent any Static,
and the contact of your Grounding Coupling placed up toward the Eves will take care
of your system.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Comcast 0
M Comcast 0
W Comcast 0