Questions on how to improve reception

absol_utley

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I have some questions about how to improve my reception. I am using the GE Ultra Edge Series Indoor Amplified Antenna 10621. When I plug the antenna into my TV(without the amplifier) I get WSYT(See TV fool report), but if i move the antenna slightly I get WNYS, but not WSYT. If I plug the antenna into the amplifier i get no signal. I think it may be because the siding on my trailer is metal, but I'm not sure. I can also post a picture of the antenna if that would help.
http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3de2cbb834873b4b

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: ab

To start, indoor antennas are the worst compromise: attic antennas are better and outdoor antennas are best. You are probably correct that the metal box (trailer) is compromising your reception. Both channels should be able to be received there and amplifiers (for those two) are not necessary.

Its not that you aren't receiving signals: you are receiving a 'damaged' data-stream which is confusing your tuner -- consequently, it reports "no signal" to you.

Cutting to the chase scene ... are you willing to install an outdoor antenna?

Jim

Last edited:
G

Gene Sky , Date 07-06-2016

Install a Antennas Direct Model C4-V-CJM antenna Above The Roof in such a manner that the Roof Does Not Obstruct the reception of antenna in all directions.

Locate the C4-V-CJM antenna at a location that has the Best Unobstructed View to the , North East , East , South East , South .

Aim the front of the C4-V-CJM , Flat Face of the Loops ( Front Of Antenna ) At about 50 Degree Magnetic Compass Direction.

Disconnect and Remove All Parts of GE amplified antenna , power supply and all that has to do with the GE amplified antenna including the GE antenna.

A antenna system amplifier Is Not required with the C4-V-CJM antenna the Tv signal strengths are strong at your location.

You should be able to connect , 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , Tv's , with No antenna system amplifier.

The C4-V-CJM as a package deal , Antenna , J Mount (antenna mount) , and coax.

--------------------------------------

Mobile home situations are known for having Cobbled Together Coax Cabling ( over the years ) , if 1 Tv works fine , and then more then 1 Tv is connected and there is trouble with reception , then the trouble will most likely be , Bad Coax , Bad Connections , Bad Couplers , Bad Splitters , etc..

absol_utley

DTVUSA Jr. Member
If my mom and I can find a cheap enough one, we do have an antenna in the living room in the window that gets both channels. Also we will have to see if our friend would ground it for us.

Fringe Reception

Staff member
ab,

Another thought would be to check your local Craigslist (under Electronics / Antenna) to see if there is someone selling an appropriate antenna, cheap. If you find something, you can post a link here and we can tell you if it might work.

Jim

Jim5506

DTVUSA Member
Your trailer with the aluminum skin is like having an antenna in a barrel - not much signal gets in, plus most of your signals are 2 edge (more difficult to receive).

You definitely need an outdoor antenna at least 20 ft above the ground.

Be sure the antenna you select will receive all the channels you want to watch, bow tie type antennas might have difficulty with channel 7 or 8.

Fringe Reception

Staff member
ab,

Your tuner has to be able to reassemble a stream of digital data which is captured over-the-air rather than through a hard-wire setup like Cable TV. If the stream of data has too many errors, you get a black screen. Currently, your antenna is about 5 feet above ground level inside a metal box and that is far from ideal. Based on your antenna survey, I'd guess you could receive at least a dozen channels with an outdoor antenna above your roof: I should add, if your roof is also metal it would be a good idea to be able to locate your antenna 8-10 feet above it.

To answer your question, yes, some tuners are better at reassembling data than others but all tuners require a fairly 'clean' stream of data to work with. The "signal strength meter" on your TV set is actually a signal quality meter and high numbers are best, regardless of the signal strength levels that are actually received.

Did you check Craigslist for an antenna?

Jim

absol_utley

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I also am receiving both channels but WNYS cuts out and gets pixelated at times, but they are coming in my room. When I plug the antenna into our living room TV, and put it in the window, it pulls the channels in much better, and it even pulled in the station on RF 24.

absol_utley

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Hello me again. Sorry for such a late reply. So my mom was thinking about getting an outdoor antenna at some point. The indoor antenna we have was able to pull in VHF 7 from around 50 miles away. So I need some advice now. If we get an outdoor antenna, what should we get? Also we need to split the signal to two TVs. Our home has no existing coaxial cable either, so I was wondering how we should install coaxial cable if we so choose to do this. Our landlady's son could do it, but I need to know how the best is to do it. Thanks in advance.