Radio Shack 15-624 Antenna

Thomas G

Contributor
Anybody know if Radio Shack still makes the 15-624 bowtie antenna? Went to a local RS store today and they had no idea that it ever existed. Bought one of these 4-5 years ago for my living room TV and it worked great, would like to get one for our bedroom.

Thomas G

Contributor
They sell UHF Outline Bow-Tie Antenna - RadioShack.com

I could not find any pictures on the net nor anything in the Radio Shack archives, though I found others discussing that antenna back 3 years ago in other forums.
That one is pretty small. :D I should have clarified, the RS 15-624 is a double bow tie. Here's a direct link to one on photobucket http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/EscapeVelo/IMG_0121.jpg

It kind of reminds me of the Antennas Direct DB2 except much cheaper.

O-O

DTVUSA Member
A thread from another forum says that the RS 15-624 is only sold "in-store". Not sure how accurate that is. Did you have the sales clerk try to look it up in the computer? Most of the time those guys will say whatever they can to get you to buy whatever is in stock.

Piggie

Super Moderator
Ok, I did an indoor antenna review on that antenna months ago but didn't know the proper Radio Shack number to call it. Thanks to you I now know the correct old RS number so it can be googled. YEAH!! But you just got me close its a RS 15-623

So go here http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv...4-cm4149-ea-dtv2b-cs2-rs-budget-antennas.html and you can find a link to buy it.

The old Radio Shack product archieve on it
RadioShack.com

Ken Nist's Review
Double Bow Antenna
Ken also refers to it here
Common TV Antenna Types
Scroll down to the bold heading "Reflector Antennas"

Two major notes on that antenna.

1) its physically smaller reflector and element lengths are smaller than it's full size cousins the DB2 and 4220 or the Eagle Aspen DTV2B (good antenna for the price). This makes the antenna prefer channels 40 to 83, which of course these days the UHF band ends at 51. If all your stations are above 30, no big deal. If they are down in the teens, then a full sized two bay might be a better choice.

2) Maybe should be number one. Buy two screws and wing nuts and a balun. Drill out the pop rivets that hold the twin lead to the antenna. Put in screws and install a balun right sticking off the back with the wire through the screen.

The good point about this antenna is there are no pointy whiskers to hit someone in the eye.

the above full size antennas all have this problem. The cussed ClearStream 2 doesn't have the whisker problem and works well as an inside antenna if you build a stand. The problem with it is the price and built by the company I like the least.

Thomas G

Contributor
Thanks everyone, I may hunt one down on Ebay if I have time this weekend. Really appreciate the breakdown Piggie, if I can't find it, I may try the DB2. these flat antennas are really easy to install and hide.

Last edited:

Piggie

Super Moderator
That is a shame, the replacement isn't a replacement. Doesn't fill the same niche, not even close. This is the kind of mindless, idiotic, inane marketing that has caused so many people unneeded frustration during this transaction. The need to make adding the amplifier gain to actual gain of the antenna illegal marketing.

The replacement is a piece of garbage. And they lie like dogs (no offense to dogs).

To achieve 30 db at UHF takes either a large parabolic dish antenna or a stacked dipoles like this

My best guess this antenna had about 18-20 db of gain, and it's closer to 150 MHz and not UHF, but it's such a cool picture from early WW2. If it were resized for the UHF TV band, it would be about a 1/4 of the size shown.

Still to get 30 db you would have to have 8 to 16 of these phased together.
Why everyone that writes about antennas says gain above about 12 to 15 db doesn't come cheap. In most cases above 10 db doesn't come cheap.

I am not positive but I think this radar unit was part of the British "Chain Home" radar system to detect German planes

Found at the last minute a good article on the chain home system, if any history RF buffs want to read it.
radar
The interesting part is the picture above must be on the mobile units in Chain Home from the distription in the text. And they say the early fixed units worked on 22MHz, but they quickly moved to 1.5 meter (which is the 150 MHz I guessed from the picture). Of course radar today works at millimeter wavelength range.

Attachments

Last edited:

Piggie

Super Moderator
Thanks, I may hunt one down on Ebay if I have time this weekend. Really appreciate the breakdown Piggie, if I can't find it, I may try the DB2. these flat antennas are really easy to install and hide.
Eagle Aspen DTV2BUHF DIRECTV 2 Bay UHF Antenna Digital HDTV Terrestrial Bowtie Outdoor Roof Top Local Signal Bow Tie Aerial, RED ZONE, Part # DTV2B-UHF: Oak Entertainment Centers and Home Office Furniture, TV Antennas, Audio/Video, Satellite, Cable,
This clone of the db2 works, people in Gainesville have tried them. They work nice for stuff within 20 miles outside if it's LOS and they are running decent power on UHF. Indoors I would presume they should work about 10 miles to a full power station.

They have about 4dbd of gain. And actually more gain on the lower channels than the one out of print now.