Radio Shack Catalogs dot Com

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
Check out the front cover of the '76 catalog: The couple look a bit like Donna Pinciotti and Eric Forman, don't they? :becky:

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
idea

Oh my, that brings back memories.

Perhaps this link and others should be moved to the Vintage Electronics Forum, here on DTV USA ... perhaps as a 'sticky' for a list of resources. I could add a few cool links like a Radio Shack Walkie-Talkie tribute site and a couple Vintage Transistor Radio sites. Come to think of it, I saved a Vintage Television restoration site.
Jim

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
That is a great idea Jim. I hope to see your posts in the Vintage Forum. Dont forget teh Telephones!

I have some more contributions to make to that sub forum as well.

PS - This should be STOP for a bunch of catalogs. Like...

Sears
Montgomery Ward
Kresge
Woolwooths

and many others.

Especially the Allied Catalogs!

There is a lot of history of manufacturing and marketing in those.

Last edited:

Fringe Reception

Staff member
This time you are dating yourself, EV. My Dad always called Montgomery Ward - 'Monkey Ward' - !!

OK, when I was a kid I remember going to the Ward's Department Store in downtown Seattle and Dad pointed the building out to me from an elevated highway called 'The Viaduct' which is to the west of the building, next to Puget Sound. (It's the same design/age as the Nimitz Freeway that collapsed in a California earthquake and it is scheduled to be replaced very soon).

Anyway, on top of the Ward's building they had an interesting (possibly loaded) horizontal dipole antenna strung from opposite corners that was KXA-AM 770's antenna. No clue what their ERP was, but they had to go off-air nightly "do to skywave interference to other stations ..."

By the way, it was only a few blocks north of the FCC building which had an antenna farm all over it. I took my 3rd and 2nd class Radio Telephone license tests there. Thanks for the memories! Monkey Ward ... LOL!

Jim
--------------------

That is a great idea Jim. I hope to see your posts in the Vintage Forum. Dont forget teh Telephones!

I have some more contributions to make to that sub forum as well.

PS - This should be STOP for a bunch of catalogs. Like...

Sears
Montgomery Ward
Kresge
Woolwooths

and many others.

Especially the Allied Catalogs!

There is a lot of history of manufacturing and marketing in those.

Don_M

DTVUSA Member
Who the heck are they?
They were the main characters of "That 70s Show," a Fox sitcom that ran from 1998 to 2006, played by Laura Prepon and Topher Grace. The show is widely syndicated now; I watch its reruns any time "Nightline" airs yet another installment of "Venezuelan Beauty Contestants and the Secrets Only Their Plastic Surgeons Know about for Sure," or some such -- which is frequently these days.

Yes616

The Mod Squad
This time you are dating yourself, EV. My Dad always called Montgomery Ward - 'Monkey Ward' - !!

Jim
--------------------
Some old friends and myself used to refer to Lafayette Radio & Electronics as "Laffing House".

My good buddy Stu once bought a battery charger from them that just sucked whatever life that was left out of the battery. Stu was good with electronics and he was able to fix the problem.

I went in for a replacement stylus (that's a record player needle for you kids) and none were available on the floor. You could see a little into the stock room in the back and the CSR had to climb up to a top shelf to get to what I wanted. The shelf came tumbling down onto other shelfs like dominos. My friends and myself (we were about 15 years old at the time in 1972) were in hysterics! That was one of the funniest things I ever saw.

We walked out without the stylus and I got it somewhere else. I don't remember where. I guess that wasn't so eventful. Or funny. LOL

The name Laffing House was perfect for them.

rando01

DTVUSA Member
Now that brings back the memories. I worked at a radio shack after school when i was in High School in the mid 70s....
Only to be back there again...........Randy

Fringe Reception

Staff member
Randy,
I spent my first 'real' paycheck from an after-school job at Radio Shack in the early 1970s and I purchased a 30K ohm/volt VOM. I still have it and it works perfectly, unlike my aging bones ... :violin:
Jim

PS The retro Radio Shack website is AWESOME!

-----------------------------------

Now that brings back the memories. I worked at a radio shack after school when i was in High School in the mid 70s....
Only to be back there again...........Randy

JakesDTVBlog

DTVUSAForum Member, , , Webmaster of: Jake's DTV B
Some of my fondest memories as a kid were of listening to the Oak Ridge Boys, John Denver and God-knows-who-else on Dad's 1972 Clarinette II record player, which cost $99.95 -- or $94.00 without the dust cover! It was the first thing he bought when he moved out on his own after high school (even before he bought a TV!).

We used that thing well into the '90s, by which time it had taken over as our Christmas music machine, blasting holiday tunes from some ancient outdoor speaker as folks shopped Grandpa's selection of Christmas trees in our side yard.

As I recall, Dad finally told me to throw it out after Grandpa died in 2003. We sold his house, and everything we didn't sell at the auction went in a big dumpster ... including the Clarinette. And yes, I'm still sorry I did it.

rando01

DTVUSA Member
Yea, I spent last night looking at all the old radio shack books. It was great seeing the old 8-track players and hobby kits I bought as a kid and put together. And all the old cb radios I saved up and bought...