Radioshack takes on a new marketing strategy, and Crunchgear overreacts?

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
So this afternoon I'm browsing through my RSS feeds from electronics blogs and I come across this article from Crunchgear as partially quoted,

So Radio Shack - AKA RadioShack - is planning to call itself the Shack. Radio Shack has been Radio Shack for 88 years. Radio Shack should not change its name.
RadioShack has specifically stated in it's August 3, press release,

FORT WORTH, Texas, Aug 03, 2009 /PRNewswire-FirstCall via COMTEX News Network/ -- RadioShack Corporation (NYSE: RSH) will unveil its new brand creative platform, "THE SHACK," on August 6, supported by an integrated television, print and digital media schedule, as well as a high-profile, three-day launch event taking place in New York City and San Francisco. The new creative was developed by Butler, Shine, Stern and Partners of Sausalito, CA, which was named the Company's creative agency of record in April.

...This creative is not about changing our name. Rather, we're contemporizing the way we want people to think about our brand.
Correct me if I'm wrong, which I have been on occasion, but RadioShack is still keeping it's name.

BTW, I love Crunchgear's advice,

RadioShack needs to go big or go small but it doesn’t need to change its name.
:dizzy: