Question: Reccommed me an indoor antenna

U

Unregistered

Hi, would like to setup an indoor antenna for free channels so my mother can watch her shows.
Here is my tv fool report:

TV Fool

I live in a rather crowded townhouse community, surrounded by several other townhouses and trees nearby. The setup would be on the mainfloor of the house.

Thanks

dkreichen1968

Staff member
You need an antenna that is good on both VHF-high and UHF. My first choice would be a Winegard FV-HD30 which could be mounted outdoors later. Next up would be a Solid Signal Blade. Outdoor antennas will out perform indoor antennas hands down. Any antenna needs to be pointed northeast for best results.

G

Personally, I would say that your best bet would be a Mohu Leaf Plus amplified indoor antenna. Most of the stations are only around 15 miles away, so a basic indoor antenna should be just fine, though you will most likely require an amplifier to pull in the best possible signal. The Leaf Plus is hands down the best amplified antenna I have ever used, I'm able to get around 40 channels in perfect HD!

Hope this helps

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Personally, I would say that your best bet would be a Mohu Leaf Plus amplified indoor antenna. Most of the stations are only around 15 miles away, so a basic indoor antenna should be just fine, though you will most likely require an amplifier to pull in the best possible signal. The Leaf Plus is hands down the best amplified antenna I have ever used, I'm able to get around 40 channels in perfect HD!

Hope this helps
I really recommend staying away from amplifiers on indoor antennas for the the basic reason that amplifiers only amplify what is received, they can't receive a better signal. With short cable runs, like on an indoor antenna, especially that close to the towers, they can do more harm than good. The regular Mohu Leaf might work, but it is weak on VHF, which is why I recommended the Solid Signal Blade.

Next up would be a Solid Signal Blade.
I'm pretty sure Solid Signal's HD-BLADE is a rebranded Winegard FlatWave. Dimensions, colors and specs -- all exactly the same. For some reason, in Pete Putman's series of tests (final round here: Useful Gadgets: Indoor DTV Antennas – The Third Time ) the Flatwave underperformed the Leaf -- even the unamplified version. But now we have two other sources that give the edge to the BLADE. The htguys review here: HDTV and Home Theater Podcast - Podcasts - Podcast #550: Solid Signal HD****Blade (review starts at about 37.5 minutes), and the spec sheet comparison here: http://forums.solidsignal.com/docs/HD-BLADE vs Leaf LR.pdf

The spec sheet may be a biased source, but since Mohu hasn't come out with gain figures, you have to give the nod to Winegard/SolidSignal.

I will say that the first FlatWave Putman tested was defective, and his tests all involved 20 feet of cable plus a two way splitter, which would give the edge to a pre-amplified antenna. To my way of thinking, if you have two or three TVs, BUY THE EXTRA ANTENNAS. You can get two or three BLADES and still come out better than one Leaf, a splitter, a pre-amp and miles of cable. Finally, in the last round of Putman's tests, best I can tell from the charts, the unamplified FlatWave (a.k.a. HD-BLADE) tied the unamplified Leaf.

It certainly makes sense the FlatWave/Blade should come out slightly ahead of the Leaf, especially for high VHF. The elements are slightly larger.

There's an enthusiastic forum on the HD-BLADE here: HD Blade Support

Finally, I don't know why you wouldn't get quad shielded RG-6 to use with the HD-BLADE, instead of the cheaper cable they recommend. Both the Leaf and BLADE come with thinner cable, which they admit going in is going to cost you 1 or 2 dB of signal. They're going for some kind of aesthetic ideal I don't understand. (My suspicion with the Leaf is they WANT people to lose signal, forcing them to upgrade to the pre-amplified Leaf plus$$. The cheap cable comes attached to the Leaf, so Mohu makes it harder to swap.) You can get RG-6 cut to size, and if you shop around eBay, cost should come under $10. E.g. 12 ft RG6 75ohm Quad Shield CL2 Coaxial F Type Cable | eBay [$4.56 incl. S&H, for 12' quad RG-6, CL-2 rated]

Rick

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Thanks Rick for that informative analysis. I was originally thinking the Blade was a different design than the Flatwave, but after carefully looking at picture of both realize that they are the same. The only difference is the blade has the short cable that allows you to use your own extension cable without an adapter.

Thanks Rick for that informative analysis. I was originally thinking the Blade was a different design than the Flatwave, but after carefully looking at picture of both realize that they are the same. The only difference is the blade has the short cable that allows you to use your own extension cable without an adapter.
Another thing I forgot to mention: When you put FlatWave into the search box at Solid Signal, you get a page full of links to (guess ...)
HD-BLADE ads! Pretty cute, eh?

It certainly makes sense the FlatWave/Blade should come out slightly ahead of the Leaf, especially for high VHF. The elements are slightly larger.
WINEGARD FLATWAVE PULLS AHEAD OF MOHU LEAF IN AMAZON RATINGS

Someone must be reading this forum. The last five reviews of the FlatWave have been 5 star, so the averages now round off to 4.3 for FlatWave and just 4.2 for the Leaf.
Amazon.com: antenna: Electronics

Seemed like the Leaf was highest rankng "flat" antenna forever.

Informative review of the FlatWave by "The Network Engineer" halfway down this page:
Amazon.com: Winegard Company FL-5000 FlatWave HDTV Indoor Digital Flat Antenna - Made in USA: Electronics

Rick