Receiving only 3 stations

Misty

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Hello. I'm hoping you might be able to help me.

I recently bought a Sylvania TV, and it passed the DTV readiness test that a local station held. I am only able to receive three digital channels on it - PBS, ABC, and CBS.

My old analog TV was able to pick up all local VHF and UHF channels with a rabbit ear antenna. I do not have cable or Direct TV. A few weeks ago, I lost reception of FOX on my analog TV, though, and that's one of the stations I don't get on DTV, either.

When I bought my new TV that passed the DTV readiness test, I explained to the store that I had always used a rabbit ear antenna on my analog TV. The store said that all I needed was a new rabbit ear antenna that was optimized for DTV to continue receiving channels. That's obviously false, but I didn't know it at the time.

So now I'm wondering what kind of antenna I need. How do I find out?

Thanks for your help.

Hello. I'm hoping you might be able to help me.

I recently bought a Sylvania TV, and it passed the DTV readiness test that a local station held. I am only able to receive three digital channels on it - PBS, ABC, and CBS.

My old analog TV was able to pick up all local VHF and UHF channels with a rabbit ear antenna. I do not have cable or Direct TV. A few weeks ago, I lost reception of FOX on my analog TV, though, and that's one of the stations I don't get on DTV, either.

When I bought my new TV that passed the DTV readiness test, I explained to the store that I had always used a rabbit ear antenna on my analog TV. The store said that all I needed was a new rabbit ear antenna that was optimized for DTV to continue receiving channels. That's obviously false, but I didn't know it at the time.

So now I'm wondering what kind of antenna I need. How do I find out?

Thanks for your help.
first go to tvfool.com and put in your address then post the distance of each of the stations that you wish to receive and if they are VHF low or high 2-5 is low 5-13 is high vhf 14-69 is UHF but some stations have virtual channels so they may actually be UHF but have a VHF number. if most of your stations are UHF rabbit ears are a no go. the digital signal is not as strong as Analog if it is UHF. post this info and we can make a better recommendation :)

Misty

DTVUSA Jr. Member
Thanks very much for your reply, cowboyup4christ. Here's the info from tvfool.com that you asked for: Signal Analysis. I've put green X's next to the stations I'd like to get, and red X's next to the stations that I already receive. If I get more stations, that'd be great, but I'd be happy with the green X stations.

Here's the antenna recommendations from tvfool.com: Antennas

Here's the antenna I'm currently using: Philips US2 MANT510 hdtv amplified indoor antenna

Two other questions: First, could you tell me whether all stations are transmitting on DTV signals as of now? A friend is telling me that I'm not getting all stations simply because not all stations are broadcasting a DTV signal as of yet. I believe that's false, but I wanted to make sure.

I'm also wondering why I lost reception of FOX? The local FOX station announced that it was switching to DTV transmission, but I thought we were supposed to continue receiving all channels on analog until Feb. 17. Once FOX switched to DTV transmission, I can no longer receive FOX on either my analog or digital TV.

Thanks very much for your help! :)

Last edited:
Misty
all of your stations are UHF but one, which is High VHf so the Phillips is not the antenna you need. what would work well for you would be a antenna craft u4000 mounted on the outside of your home at about 20ft. if you cannot mount it outside you could mount a u8000 in your attic and point it south west toward your largest group of transmitters. now if you want all of them you can attach a rotator or place one UHF antenna 4 ft over another combine them with a signal combiner and then run to the tv this would allow you to get most by pointing one south east and one to the north north east this should capture all of the stations you need. I would place the antenna in a window pointed in the direction you need to see how it works inside before you place one in attic. placing in the attic cuts the antennas reception by 50%.

Jason Fritz

Administrator
Staff member
At 30 miles, the higher you install your antenna, the better chance you'll have with receiving DTV signals. Is there any kind of obstruction (hill, tree, etc.) by your house? UHF signals have a tougher time going around such obstructions, unlike VHF signals.

That Philips US2 MANT510 is ideal for signal reception approximately 20 miles or less from broadcast towers (results may vary). As Cowboy mentioned, antenna placement in the attic will reduce reception, but at your distance, you might be able to get away with it.

Misty

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I think it'd be easier to mount a rooftop antenna than to put one in the attic. It's hard to explain, but the attic space I can enter is sort've on the side of my house, which I think would lead to more signal blockage.

So, would it work just as well to put an antenna on my rooftop? If so, what kind would I need?

Thanks very much for your answers, Cowboy and Jay. I really appreciate it.

see the antenna review thread in this part of the forum also the deep fringe prescription thread as well this should help you with your choice. I use the antenna craft U8000 but have installed several antenna direct 91-xgs any of the 8 bay antennas would work for you and you probably won't need a pre amp point it west and you should get all the stations you want if not turn it south west a little an that should get you the biggest group:)

Misty

DTVUSA Jr. Member
see the antenna review thread in this part of the forum also the deep fringe prescription thread as well this should help you with your choice. I use the antenna craft U8000 but have installed several antenna direct 91-xgs any of the 8 bay antennas would work for you and you probably won't need a pre amp point it west and you should get all the stations you want if not turn it south west a little an that should get you the biggest group:)
I'm sorry if I sound totally stupid, but I'm having trouble understanding what you mean. *blush* Do you mean that I should still go with an attic antenna, or do you agree that I should go with a rooftop antenna instead? I just can't see an attic antenna working very well, since signals would have to pass through an upstairs room before reaching the attic space where the antenna would go. Won't that hurt the reception?

And once again, thanks very much for your help.

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
I'm sorry if I sound totally stupid, but I'm having trouble understanding what you mean. *blush* Do you mean that I should still go with an attic antenna, or do you agree that I should go with a rooftop antenna instead? I just can't see an attic antenna working very well, since signals would have to pass through an upstairs room before reaching the attic space where the antenna would go. Won't that hurt the reception?

It's really a win/lose situation for attic installation. You get the benefit of locating the antenna higher in the air, but the drawback is, that the signals don't pass through the walls as well.

I'd suggest buying a different antenna from a store with a 30 day return policy.

install the antenna on the roof if possible this will give the best reception.