Reception differing on 2 different boxes

I currently own 2 different kinds of converter boxes. The first one is a Magnavox TB110MB9 I bought at Wal-Mart and the other is a Craig CVD508 I bought at CVS Pharmacy. I have a regular antenna with a booster. The Magnovox reception is great. I get all the channels I could wish for. The Craig box, on the other hand, will only pick up one channel when plugged in. I have the antenna hooked up to the booster and then to a splitter where my cables split. One goes to the livingroom television set (Magnavox) and the other runs to my bedroom television set (Craig). Livingroom again has great reception, but my bedroom reception just isn't working. Only one channel showing up. What else can I do?

Miranda

Eureka

DTVUSA Member
What EV said, +1.

Swap the boxes out to make sure it's not a cabling problem. After you move the problem box, go into the menu and rescan for channels. If it's still missing a lot of channels, the box is defective.

JakesDTVBlog

DTVUSAForum Member, , , Webmaster of: Jake's DTV B
Unfortunately, Miranda, I've not read or heard too many good things about those Craig boxes. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if it's defective.

The Magnavox, while it's still not my personal favorite, has been a much better box, in my experience.

Piggie

Super Moderator
I have the antenna hooked up to the booster and then to a splitter where my cables split. One goes to the livingroom television set (Magnavox) and the other runs to my bedroom television set (Craig). Livingroom again has great reception, but my bedroom reception just isn't working. Only one channel showing up. What else can I do?

Miranda
Are the two cable runs from the splitter the same length? And which is longer and how long are those 2 runs?

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I was going to ask if the connections are the same. I have two boxes, both the same, but one is a coax lead and the other a twin lead, and there's a difference in reception. I was also going to ditto what Jakes said about Craig. I've heard they are the worst.

jwalter

DTVUSA Jr. Member
I would start by eliminating the splitters and just hook a single converter up at a time directly to the antenna and then re-scan to see if the problem is with the boxes. There can be differences in sensitivity between tuners. This should make it easier to narrow down the problem (i.e. cableing vs tuners)

Yea

Believe or not they are difference in the dtv tuner I think. I had a magnovox and loaned it out to someone, the recption on it was not great but during the day I could pick up 2 more stations than want I now get with a radio shack box. The signal past a point on the radio shows stronger but on weaker signals it will like a 15 or something but no picture. But when I get my magnovox back I will do a true field test.

It Figures!

Well, first I would like to thank everyone for their input. Secondly, I would like to tell everyone what I tried. I disconnected the splitter and hooked the Craig box direct to the booster. The results were the same. I unhooked the Craig box and hooked the Magnavox up in the bedroom. The Magnavox got the same reception as it did in the living room. We had purchased 2 craig boxes so I checked the other Craig box in the bedroom and it had the same results as the first. Go figure! So I tried hooking both the Craig boxes up in the living room and guess what, they still sucked lemons! LOL I think this is such a crock for a company to sell crap like this. There should be a lemon law on these devices! I contacted the company that makes the Craig boxes and their first question was, "well, do you have it hooked up to an antenna?" DUH!!! And the fact that they are only open M-F 8am-5pm Eastern Time. The next comment was "you may need to upgrade our antenna"...LMAO!! We advised them that we currently own the biggest one they make and we have a booster hooked to it as well, so that is definitely not the issue. My question is, will the government replace or reissue the government coupons to us if the boxes we bought were lemons?

The later (newest released) Magnavox boxes, for a cheap $49.99 model, are the best in my opinion. at least for the price, they're great with weaker signals. there's been times that it could pick up something that even the DTVPal + couldn't. some boxes have higher signal strength requirements than others (some have their bar set high for a decent picture, around ~50-60% to hold without breaking up) and the Magnavox, from my personal experience, while lacking a few desired features (such as a better EPG, or timers and even a clock) can pick up a UHF signal as weak as 18-24%. it was the only box i could use during our thunderstorms last week.

The later (newest released) Magnavox boxes, for a cheap $49.99 model, are the best in my opinion. at least for the price, they're great with weaker signals.
Agreed,

I was also quite impressed with the reception of the Maganvox boxes in both strong & weak signal environments. I especially like the signal strength meter for aiming the antenna. You may be able to find one on Craigslist or E-bay for a better price than full retail if you look around.

Seems the same

Seems like the consence is magnovox is the best box. THe picuture quilaty of my digtal stream/ radio shack may be a little shaper but I got more stations on my magnovox.

The Magnavox's Signal Strength meter could be better. it has a noticeable lag and creeps to the peak it's at. for example, it starts at 0% when first brought up. it then creeps up in increments of 5-10% each few seconds until it stops where the signal is. it's not real-time and can make it harder if the signal is spotty, since it has that delay. that makes it harder to find weaker channels without knowing their exact location ahead-of-time.

They're all over the place at Wal-Mart here. i believe their model # is TBM-MW9 or something. the upgraded model.

They work with a Funai or Symphonic remote from a TV (to change channels) since they use the same remote style. (if you lose the original remote.)