Reception Issue

U

Unregistered

I am having trouble getting a consistent signal on two channels, the local Fox and CBS. Sometimes they come in fine and other times I get no signal at all. I am using two antennas mounted on top of my garage about 30 feet above the ground which were installed 18 years ago The signal enters the house by a coax cable and then goes to a Tru-Spec TA-25 amplifier which is then distributed throughout the house. This worked fine until the switch to HD programming. I was looking at some of the new antennas and noticed that a number of them suggest using a Preamplifier to strengthen the signal and was wondering if adding a Preamp to what I currently have would strengthen the signal enough to resolve my issue with Fox and CBS. I do know that without knowing what antennas I currently have makes this difficult, but I would appreciate any suggestions.
I have included a link to the TV Fool Signal Analysis Results.

Thank you

TV Fool

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Guest,

Your 'local' Fox-WXMI-19 and CBS-WWMT-8 should be easily received at your location if you use the right antennas and NO AMPLIFIERS.

We need to know the make/model antennas you are currently using, the directions they are pointing and exactly how they have been combined. If you don't know the make/models of the antennas, we can work with photos.

I suggest you join our Forum and we can help.

Jim

dkreichen1968

Staff member
One thing about the digital switch is that stations often changed frequencies within the TV band which changed reception dynamics. Also, the big "noisy" amps that worked for analog don't work for digital. With digital a weak "clean" signal works ten times better than a strong "noisy" signal. Pictures of the antennas, how they are connected, and the directions they are pointed will help a lot.

jhanis

DTVUSA Rookie
I have no idea what the antennas are. Like I said in the initial post they were put up 18 years ago.
The direction of the top larger antenna is 116 SE and the lower smaller antenna is 33 NE.
I hope the picture helps.

100_3770.jpg

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
:welcome: jhanis!

We are glad you joined the Forum and I think both of your existing antennas were made by AntennaCraft ... not bad antennas at all!

Work comes early tomorrow for me, so stand by for others' impressions.

Jim

jhanis

DTVUSA Rookie
It is very difficult to get to the antennas. The roof is very steep. I fact when the antenna was installed they used a truck with a boom.
I did try bypassing the amp and the signal was worse.

dkreichen1968

Staff member
There is a chance that upgrading the amp could really help.

Here are the specs for your amp: PICO MACOM TA-25 TRU SPEC UHF/VHF/FM 25dB DISTRIBUTION AMPLIFIER

The key numbers here are the noise level (5dB VHF , 7dB UHF).

The distribution amp that I use is made by Kitz Technologies

I use the KT-100VG which has 20 dB of gain and 1 dB of noise, but they also have the KT-200 with 24 dB of gain and 0.4 dB of noise. Upgrading the amp may certainly help given the noise level of your current amp. You're effectively losing 5-7 dB of signal before it's amplified. Kitz also have a 10 Day Money Back Guarantee! I got mine within two days of when I ordered.

The small antenna must be for WZZM on channel 13. Unless they used a Channel 13 Jointenna it may be creating multipath and loss.

Last edited: