Reception Update

I live just north of Boston. TV Fool
All the stations
that I watch are now UHF, located in same
direction, and all the paths are 2Edge. I
have a chimney mount with a ten foot mast.
Before the digital conversion, I had a large
directional combo with a uhf pre-amp that
worked great for many years. After the
digital conversion, I gained a few good
stations but lost RF 39. I then came to this
forum for help. After installing a 91xg with
an AP-4700 uhf pre-amp and new RG-6 cable, I
still could not get 39. The forum told me to
keep tweaking the direction. I did with many
trips to the roof and finally got it!

Six weeks later, with the season change to
summer, I lost it a week ago! It was working
well but it was at the edge of the cliff. And
last week, it fell off. So, I have been to
the roof about a dozen times in the last
several days and just got it back!

I got it back by lowering the antenna which I
learned from this forum. My new tweak is
thirty inches lower and fifteen degrees
farther north. The 39 signal now bounces
between 50 -- 58 with no drop outs. All my
other channels are between 75 and 92. And a
few of them got stronger.

When the antenna was 30" higher, my best
direction was fifteen degrees south of the
transmitters. Now, my best direction is in
line with the transmitters.

When the leaves filled out and I lost 39,
three of my other channels got stronger.

Thanks again to everyone and this forum.

Thanks No Static. I want to avoid a rotor because all the stations that I watch are within three degrees of each other and there are usually two tv's tuned to different channels.

I was thinking of trying an MXU47 because it has a larger reflective shield and I just happen to have one. It was shipped to me and arrived damaged with a twenty degree bend in the boom. No one ever picked it up so I own it for free. I straightened it out and it looks perfect except for a tiny crack in the boom.

dave73

DTVUSA Member
Thanks No Static. I want to avoid a rotor because all the stations that I watch are within three degrees of each other and there are usually two tv's tuned to different channels.

I was thinking of trying an MXU47 because it has a larger reflective shield and I just happen to have one. It was shipped to me and arrived damaged with a twenty degree bend in the boom. No one ever picked it up so I own it for free. I straightened it out and it looks perfect except for a tiny crack in the boom.
Except for WYIN, all stations from Chicago are on the Sears Tower & John Hancock, & the stations on the 2 buildings are only 3° apart. So I'm with you on that one by not wanting to move the antenna by just 3°. I'm just waiting to get back to work so I can get a couple of new antennas for Chicago & use an existing Winegard antenna for WYIN, as I have to have an antenna 145° from Chicago. WYIN is the only station of the 15 stations (not counting low power stations) that doesn't transmit from Chicago, and for them, it's financial reasons and not because of WTTW & WYCC stopping them. WTTW & WYCC couldn't stop them because WYIN's original application for digital & analog service on the Sears Tower was approved, but WYIN withdrew their request after they found out in 2003 that the cost to locate on the Sears Tower (or any Chicago skyscraper) would be cost prohibitive for the budget they have, or they would have located their digital & analog antennas in Chicago instead of their transmitter remaining in Cedar Lake Indiana.

A while back, I was given a used camera (canon a400). And, recently downloaded the manual and software, and bought a usb cable. So, naturally, I took a few pictures of my antenna and here is my attempt to post one of them.

Attachments