Recommend me an antenna mount

Metal

DTVUSA Rookie
During calm weather days I get absolutely perfect reception. During windy/stormy days we get pretty bad digital/HD reception in part because my Audiovox TV38 rocks back and forth being that it's mounted outside on top of my house on a piece of PVC which is then connected to some unistrut with some U-Bolts. Not an ideal mount at all because the PVC pipe is starting to rot but I didn't mount it either, I just bought the house from my brother in law last year. Anyway, can someone recommend me a good antenna mount that'll hold a good sized antenna.

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Hi metal, and welcome to the DTVUSAforum!

I recommend a tripod mast mount (the taller the better) which stabilizes a roof mounted mast.

You could also do a chimney mount, if so inclined.

Guy wires can help as well depending on how tall your mast is. You can get guy wire mast brackets.

Here is a page of mast mounting equipment from 2 well known and established online dealers.

Summit Source

Solid Signal

You also want a mast base mount to go with the galvanized steel mast 5 ft, 8 ft, and 10 ft are common mast lengths.

Here is a nice all in one solution...this one comes with a 10 foot mast.

Ronard RONNIE-10 Universal 5 Foot Tripod w/10 Foot Mast

Last edited:

Metal

DTVUSA Rookie

I recommend a tripod mast mount (the taller the better) which stabilizes a roof mounted mast.

Guy wires can help as well depending on how tall your mast is. You can get guy wire mast brackets.

Here is a page of mast mounting equipment from 2 well known and established online dealers.

Summit Source

Solid Signal

You also want a mast base mount to go with the galvanized steel mast 5 ft, 8 ft, and 10 ft are common mast lengths.

Thanks for the reccomendation, but I think I prefer something that'll actually attach to the house since we get so much wind here. Unless you think I can attach it or bolt it down somehow to the roof?

Piggie

Super Moderator
Thanks for the reccomendation, but I think I prefer something that'll actually attach to the house since we get so much wind here. Unless you think I can attach it or bolt it down somehow to the roof?
Two questions. How high to do you want to mount the antenna above ground level?

Then if using an eve house bracket, how high will the bracket be above the ground and then how much mast will be above the house bracket to the antenna?

EscapeVelocity

Moderator, , Webmaster of EV's Antenna Blog
Mast mounts that attach to the sides of the house for stability and support are good. I was just unclear on your current mount and your preference.

Aldey

DTVUSA Jr. Member

Summit Source

Solid Signal

How easy is that one to install? It looks like you could put it together in 5 minutes and sit on a roof?

Metal

DTVUSA Rookie
Two questions. How high to do you want to mount the antenna above ground level?

Then if using an eve house bracket, how high will the bracket be above the ground and then how much mast will be above the house bracket to the antenna?
Mast mounts that attach to the sides of the house for stability and support are good. I was just unclear on your current mount and your preference.
I'll be mounting the antenna to the top of my roof. I'd like a mount that's at least 10' to 15' tall if possible. Thank you for your help so far.

IDRick

DTVUSA Member
Hi metal,

There are several mounts available from solid signal and summit source that would meet your needs. I like the versatility of the Ronnie 10 since it can conform to just about any roof and rafter spacing. It is expensive though...

A good reference on antenna installs can be found at: http://manuals.solidsignal.com/AntInstallGuide.pdf See chapter 4 for a discussion on various mounting techniques (chapter starts on page 8, roof mounts start on page 10.).

HTH,

Rick