Recording on a tunerless vcr/dvd combo

himym09

DTVUSA Rookie
I got a vcr/dvd combo for christmas...its what i asked santa for :) I however did not realize that it does not have a built in tuner so I cannot record programs onto a vhs tape without having it hooked up to an external tuner. I do not have cable and currently use an amplified antenna to recieve local stations. I plan to buy a digital converter box which I think I can then hook up to the vcr which would act as the tuner. Is this right? And if I do this, will I be able to record a program while watching another station? Finally, will I be able to set the vcr to record at certain times? I thought I read somewhere you would need a converter box with a timer? Any insight would be apprciated.

Thanks!!

I got a vcr/dvd combo for christmas...its what i asked santa for :) I however did not realize that it does not have a built in tuner so I cannot record programs onto a vhs tape without having it hooked up to an external tuner. I do not have cable and currently use an amplified antenna to recieve local stations. I plan to buy a digital converter box which I think I can then hook up to the vcr which would act as the tuner. Is this right? And if I do this, will I be able to record a program while watching another station? Finally, will I be able to set the vcr to record at certain times? I thought I read somewhere you would need a converter box with a timer? Any insight would be apprciated.

Thanks!!
look at this thread it may answer you questions. as for watching one and recording another your box would have to have duel tuners for that and the only one I have found is the dishnetworks DTVPAL-DVR which is 249.00 if you have this then you would not need a vcr.

http://www.dtvusaforum.com/everything-else/1299-hooking-up-tunerless-vcr.html

himym09

DTVUSA Rookie
Ok, thanks. $249 is a bit steep for the DVR. I do have another older tv with a vcr built into it. Would I be able to hook that up to a converter box and set it to record consecutive programs on different channels?

veganmom

DTVUSA Rookie
I need help, too!

I have a Panasonic TV that has a built-in DVD and VCR. How can I record? Is the VCR always going to record static after the analog signal disappears, will the DTV box talk to the TV, or is there something I can do/some way I can hook it up?

Your TV/DVD/VCR combo can indeed use the signal from the box to record. the port on the back labeled 'cable/ant' is the same thing. the only difference is that you will have to remember to change the channel when you record since the box controls that and not the timer built-into your combo. but yes, a combo unit can record from an outside source. that's what it does on analog and what it will continue to do with the converter. the converter simply acts as a RF modulator which converts digital television to analog television so the only thing which changes is you change channels with the converter and you use an extra outlet to plug the box in. nothing more. just be careful with timer recording since the timer won't be able to change the channel from the converter. you also may need two remotes or a universal remote to control both the box and TV set.

The Dish Network DTVPal+, not the DVR but the converter itself, has a 'event timer' which changes the channel automatically so you can still timer record.

veganmom

DTVUSA Rookie
My issue, of course, is with timer recording

I have a combo tv/VCR. I want to schedule 8 shows per week to tape. I currently have them scheduled on my tv/vcr. What will happen on June 12, or will I have to remember to leave the converter on the channel I want and j can only tape off that channel that day,or will it just magically work?

Thomas G

Contributor
I have a combo tv/VCR. I want to schedule 8 shows per week to tape. I currently have them scheduled on my tv/vcr. What will happen on June 12, or will I have to remember to leave the converter on the channel I want and j can only tape off that channel that day,or will it just magically work?
If you purchase the Dish Network DTVPal Plus converter box, it has 8 built-in event timers which will allow you to program a certain time the converter box will change channels. So to answer your question, yes, you'll be able to record multiple channels in a single day. It would mean that you'd have to set the VCR timer to record from a certain time and date, and then you'd have to set the event timers on the converter box to change channels during the recording time of the VCR. It's an extra step, but it is possible.