refund from online retailer?

Bought my box online months ago. Now I have a coupon that expires in 10 days. Can I expect a retro refund? Does the dealer HAVE to accept it? (We've had some angry words.)

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
Bought my box online months ago. Now I have a coupon that expires in 10 days. Can I expect a retro refund? Does the dealer HAVE to accept it? (We've had some angry words.)
Most retailers accept returns for a period of 90 days from the date of purchase with the exclusion of electronics and they have a return period of 30 days. Your retailer does not have to allow a return outside of the policy, but some might to keep a consumer happy.

Edit
All the problems with redeeming HDTV coupons suggests a massive scam of double-billing. A retailer claims the coupon won't work or is expired, charges full price for the box, but bills the govt for $40 as well. I think that's what's happening to me. I bought a box online just before expiration of my coupon; then after the purchase went through, the seller said there was some problem with the way I registered the coupon. By the time I cleared that up, seller said my coupon had expired and the purchase would proceed at full price, without a coupon. As if they don't have a reasonable time to bill the govt!
If this stems from your above post from 1/26/09 I don't think you'll have much luck in using another coupon. It appears your coupon was expired when you purchased the converter and you have since come up with another coupon. It doesn't seem fair, but I would personally write it off as a lesson and never deal with a retailer that I felt took advantage of me.

Last edited:

Orrymain

, Blogger: Orry's Orations
I tend to agree with these responses. It doesn't seem like you'll be able to get anything back, and the merchant definitely is not obligated to take back a return if you're outside the return limits.

I didn't ask about a "return. " I asked about a "refund" of $40. I'm keeping my converter box. Shouldn't the retailer HAVE TO accept a valid coupon even after I paid full price?

Last edited:

1inxs

DTVUSA Member
I didn't ask about a "return. " I asked about a "refund" of $40. I'm keeping my converter box. Shouldn't the retailer HAVE TO accept a valid coupon even after I paid full price?
Yes, most retailers will honor the coupon after the full price was paid if returned/repurchased within 30 days. You don't actually return the CECB but rather they credit you back for the full purchase price and ring it up again, this time using the $40.00 coupon. Yours appears to be outside of the 30 day period by quite a lot. Here is another way to try and clarify the point. A recommended option for purchasing a CECB is to purchase at the full price without using a coupon. When you are sure the CECB will do everything you need it to within the 30 day period. You then do a return/purchase using the coupon to save the $40.00. The retailer has to show a CECB purchase to the Government to get reimbursed for the coupon. The retailer only has to accept the $40.00 coupon on a current qualified CECB purchase. I hope this helps clarify what I meant by return.

Lurker Lee

DTVUSA Member
Does the retailer have to prove (to the govt or someone) that a CECB was purchased with the coupon? Otherwise it seems like an open invitation to a scam, with people turning in coupons w/o buying a box, and then pocketing the $40.

FWIW, my vote is that in this case, the seller is not obligated to refund the $40. In fact, I doubt they are obligated to refund it ever, although I understand that some do as a courtesy, using the "return and rebuy with the coupon" scenario.

divxhacker

DTVUSA Member
Does the retailer have to prove (to the govt or someone) that a CECB was purchased with the coupon?
YES! It is treated as an Electronic Funds Transfer, not a Gift Card. The card becomes deactivated (some brick and mortar stores require the surrender of the cards as they are coupons.) and the retailer has to send a duplicate of the invoice/receipt to show a CECB converter was sold inside of the order. The retailer would receive the funds when the proof is established.