Question: Request for antenna help

U

Unregistered

Hello all and thank you in advance for taking time to help.
I purchased a stellar labs yagi 30-2415 antenna and put her up.
I get 8 channels a couple are HD rest are 480i. I put in my zip 98862 in rabbit ears and it shows more HD channels but I am not picking them up in HD only at 480i?

RabbitEars.Info

i see on my antenna specs channels 21-69 I am receiving lower freq channels in 480i and not 720i is this a antenna problem? Or something else I have overlooked?

channels im receiving
khq 6-1
kxly 4-1
krem 2-1
this TV 28-2
kayu-HD 28-1 720i
ksps-cr 7-3
ksps-wo 7-2
ksps-HD 7-1 1080i

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
A lot of downtime on TVfool in the last few months. 6/17/2013 9pm MDT it returned this error:
ERROR: Geocoding service failure (code = 1). Please try again or use coordinates instead.
ERROR: The address could not be resolved. Please check the address or try entering coordinates instead.
ERROR: Longitude is out of range. Please check your location and try again.

G

OK I finally got it to work.
TV Fool
I have my antenna aimed at 153 degrees. I put a amp on it no change still 10 channels.
I get KHQ-HD 06-1 8.1 1080i DD5.1 KHQ-HD NBC "KHQ 6"
For some reason I can not get the other network stations in (HD) (are these signals not actually being broadcast?)
02-1 10.3 1080i DD5.1 KREM-HD CBS "KREM 2"
04-1 12.1 720p DD5.1 KXLY-HD ABC "KXLY ABC 4 HD"

thanks
Tom

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Okay, the big thing I see is that you have the wrong style antenna for your area. Though the stellar labs yagi 30-2415 is advertised to cover "all digital channels" it's actually designed for UHF (channels 14-51). All of the translators that serve your area are high VHF (channels 7-13). I'd suggest an Antennacraft Y5713 or Y10713 for your area.

You do not appear to have a translator for a FOX affiliate. Channels you should be able to get with the correct antenna are:
2-1 KREM CBS
2-2 Live Well
4-1 KXLL ABC
4-2 MeTV
6-1 KHQ NBC
6-2 Weather
7-1 PBS
7-2 PBS World
7-3 Create

All of the -1 channels are in HD.

G

Thanks for the info. I am thinking the same thing about the mhz range of my antenna. But 1 thing that blows that out of the water, I am getting 6-1 KHQ in 1080i I am also getting Fox in 1080i. Also when I go to my RV and scan for channels it picks up 20 of them (alot of duplicates) but it does not pull in the other 2 HD networks? It does get the 1 at 6-1 KHQ (Which I receive as well in the house)

dkreichen1968

Staff member
You are probably pulling in the FOX station from a different translator sight than the one you are pointed at. If your TV has a signal meter you may want to try pointing your current antenna in different directions to see if you can improve that signal for FOX. Then use a UVSJ to combine it to an Antennacraft Y5713 pointed toward where your antenna is pointed now to pick up the other stations.

G

Thanks Dan so you are saying just buy another antenna and combine the signals. I get FOX HD at 1080i perfectly.
Im still perplexed as to why I am receiving the 6-1 KHQ HD in (1080i) channel and not the other net works they are basically the same mhz.. Does anyone have a answer to that?
Thanks
Tom

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
A lot of downtime on TVfool in the last few months. 6/17/2013 9pm MDT it returned this error:
ERROR: Geocoding service failure (code = 1). Please try again or use coordinates instead.
ERROR: The address could not be resolved. Please check the address or try entering coordinates instead.
ERROR: Longitude is out of range. Please check your location and try again.
That's all I've gotten out of TVFool's tv signal locator recently too. Since they don't seem to be addressing the problem on their website, one has to wonder if maybe TVFool isn't planning on being around much longer. I do hope that's not right since TVFool is a much valued and appreciated tool for us over the air tv viewers,

G

Ok I ordered the Antennacraft Y5713 do I need to keep my other yagi as well? If so do I mount on the same mast? what kind of separation?

Thanks
Tom

Fringe Reception

Super Moderator, Chief Content Editor
Staff member
Guest Tom,

You need both antennas and they can share the same mast if they are seperated by at least 3 feet (theoretically) to keep them from interacting with each other ... but in real-life experience, they may work fine for you with a spacing of two feet.

As mentioned above, you can combine the two antennas on your one coaxial cable if you use a UVSJ (UHF-VHF-Signal-Joiner) which is cheap at Radio Shack and other retailers. The are visually identical to a standard diplexer or "signal splitter" but internally, they electrically isolate one antenna from the other one (VHF and UHF). Good luck and please keep us posted on your results.

Jim

That's all I've gotten out of TVFool's tv signal locator recently too. Since they don't seem to be addressing the problem on their website, one has to wonder if maybe TVFool isn't planning on being around much longer. I do hope that's not right since TVFool is a much valued and appreciated tool for us over the air tv viewers, - See more at: http://www.dtvusaforum.com/dtv-hdtv...on/49286-request-antenna-help.html#post105246
It's more complicated than that. See post # 5 in this thread: Interactive Maps - TV Fool

dkreichen1968

Staff member
Thanks Dan so you are saying just buy another antenna and combine the signals. I get FOX HD at 1080i perfectly.
Im still perplexed as to why I am receiving the 6-1 KHQ HD in (1080i) channel and not the other net works they are basically the same mhz.. Does anyone have a answer to that?
Thanks
Tom
It may be that you're pulling in KHQ from the same translator sight you're getting FOX from, or that it's strong enough to come in on the UHF antenna. If you have strong enough signals a paper clip or thumb tack is known to work as an antenna. ;)

Your TVfool doesn't show me where the FOX affiliate is coming from. (shrug shoulders)

MrPogi

Moderator, , Webmaster of Cache Free TV
Staff member
It's more complicated than that. See post # 5 in this thread: Interactive Maps - TV Fool
For those that just want the short answer:
The problem is a result of Google changing their Maps terms of service. Their geocoding engine is now quota limited more severely than before. Since we get a high number of page hits per day, we are going over the limit pretty much all the time. It's also not clear exactly when during the day they reset the quota counter.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
Your zip code covers a very large area with very diverse terrain. Can you try to plug in a more specific location? If you're seeing KAYU 28-1, then you're probably not seeing just the four signals TVFool says you're getting. You're probably seeing Omak's translators.

Of course, if you're seeing 2-1, 4-1, 6-1, 7-1, and 28-1, you're seeing basically everything you will see in that area anyway.

- Trip

Jim5506

DTVUSA Member
If you are getting a signal and it is not HD from the translator, there is nothing wrong on your end, the translator is probably not outputting HD signal. If the HD signal is there your HD tuner will display it.

Contact whomever maintains and/or owns the translator to see if they have had an equipment failure.

Last edited:
G

Well guys im back to report, after purchasing the 2nd antenna (VHF) I still receive exactly 10 channels. That was a waste of time and money lol. I guess I can take it down and just leave the yagi. I put an amp on it= no difference. It does look impressive :)
RabbitEars.Info
K10BD-D says its broadcasting in 1080i but im only getting 480i I assume Jim5506 hit it on the nose.
I will try and find out a contact for TV DISTRICT #2 OF OKANOGAN COUNTY
Thanks
Tom