Rochester, NY Reception issue

DannyR

DTVUSA Rookie
I'm having a tough time picking up the ION channel here in Rochester. According to TVFool, the tower is about 31.1 miles away and my cheap ole set of bunny ears ain't cutting it no more. Can someone give me a recommendation for a sub $50 antenna perferrably under $30 if possible that should work?

Here's my TVFool

TV Fool

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
The best uhf indoor antennas are the bow tie types. Do a google search for '2-bay bowtie antennas.'

Summit Source has one for $26.00 + $11.00 for s/h. It's an outdoor antenna but is small enough to be used indoors, and ignore the 20 mile range that they rate it. That antenna should be able to pick up that Ion station at 31.1 miles with ease.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
Wait... the ION channel in Rochester... you mean WPXJ-51? The one that doesn't have a digital signal yet?

- Trip

Tim58hsv

DTVUSA Member
That's the word on the AVS forums. Apparently it has something to do with a Canadian channel on the same frequency.

Anywho, with a little luck it should be on digital either friday or saturday.

Trip

Moderator, , , Webmaster of: Rabbit Ears
Staff member
Trip, what do you mean? That might be the reason why I can't pick it up! How do you know that?
I know that because I know all. :D

Seriously, Paxson had filed to surrender DT-53 rather than build an out-of-core signal that they couldn't use after the transition. It also would have been severely power constrained due to CITY-DT 53 in Toronto.

- Trip