Roku and ESPN

U

Unregistered

Is it possible to get ESPN on the Roku. More specifically I would like to get the WatchESPN app to somehow work on the Roku. :)

Aaron62

Contributor
Staff member
Yes, depending on two things. 1st one is whether your internet provider allows you to use the WatchESPN app.

The 2nd is that you'll need to use PlayOn with your Roku to watch ESPN. Very simple to setup.

PlayOn + PlayLater = awesome. The only thing that had held me back from PlayOn was not being able to record MLB and NBA games to watch later, but since they added the PlayLater option it's so worth the one time cost.

O-O

DTVUSA Member
Is this legal? I'm pretty sure I saw some things on the unofficial Roku channel list that are copyrighted -- authorized only for CATV.
PlayOn is legal, but is kind of a grey area for content. It's basically a video link aggregator. They don't serve content, they provide the means to watch it through the Roku box.

BTW, there are lots of private channels on Roku which violate copyright since we're discussing legalities.

PlayOn is legal, but is kind of a grey area for content. It's basically a video link aggregator. They don't serve content, they provide the means to watch it through the Roku box.
Veeeeery murky area. Aiding and abetting ... But if everyone violating copyright got prosecuted, there'd be no room in prison for the pimps and drug smugglers. All these crazy laws and no enforcement... Whole world has gone nuts.

BTW, there are lots of private channels on Roku which violate copyright since we're discussing legalities.
Ats what I figgered. Now I'm wondering if I'm getting payback for all the backdoors I peep through (yeah, I mean on the internet -- getcher mind outa that gutter!) Got a nasty virus, and I didn't $^%! download NOTHIN!!

R.